Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

How to back non-raid and restore to raid.

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Laptops
  • Backup
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
February 5, 2013 6:54:21 PM

Tom's Community,

I have a laptop that allows for two 2.5 inch drives. I have acquired a second drive and would like to RAID them. I also have a 3TB backup drive with data on it that I do not want to delete.

My question is, is there a way to complete a full drive backup of the current laptop drive, create a RAID, and restore the information to the RAID?

Thanks,

TCH

More about : back raid restore raid

February 5, 2013 8:35:00 PM

tch said:
Tom's Community,

I have a laptop that allows for two 2.5 inch drives. I have acquired a second drive and would like to RAID them. I also have a 3TB backup drive with data on it that I do not want to delete.

My question is, is there a way to complete a full drive backup of the current laptop drive, create a RAID, and restore the information to the RAID?

Thanks,

TCH

Unfortunately, you'll need to backup onto a drive that is not either of the 2 you want in RAID.
When building a RAID on the hardware level, Filie system data is overwritten.
There's not way to create something similar to an extended partition onto another drive in RAID 0, 1. Once you've backep up to an external drive, you can restore the back up onto a new volume on the RAID you set up.
m
l
February 7, 2013 1:43:39 AM

Ok, is there a process or software that you would recommend?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 7, 2013 12:29:16 PM

tch said:
Ok, is there a process or software that you would recommend?

Well how much data is on your ssd and how much space is available on the 3TB backup drive you have?
m
l
February 9, 2013 8:28:57 PM

I have about 700 GB of data on the laptop drives and 2TB of space available on the 3TB drive. I have more than enough space I just want to make a FULL copy of my laptop drive and then restore it to the new raid.

Just to clarify. I have one 750GB drive no data (new), one 750GB drive full, and one 3TB drive with 2TB+ of free space.
I want to fully back up the full 750GB drive to the 3TB drive. Create a RAID 0 of the two 750GB drives and restore the backed up drive to the new array.

What would the best free software do what I need?

Edit: Wanted to add thanks for the swiftness of your responses and to say sorry for the slowness of mine. Work has kept me busy.
m
l
February 9, 2013 10:37:06 PM

Well what you're looking to if you want a "full copy of the drive" as you stated is to make what's called an "image".
What you'll want is imaging software that has a feature to save the image to a single file and then write the image to the new logical volume you put on your RAID configuration.

Most reliable and simple I've used is Driveimage-xml from runtime. http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm
m
l
February 10, 2013 3:52:53 AM

Thanks for everything! I am going to use driveimage-xml and get this going. Lucky for my my 3TB external drive is USB 3.0 which helps me get speeds 100MB/s and over.
m
l