Computer lags when multiple USB 3.0 is plugged in?

aupperk24

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Motherboard: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth
CPU i5-3570k
RAM 16GB
Video Card GTX670

I have a 32GB Flash Drive and a 1TB External HD, both USB 3.0

I have a 2x USB 3.0 port in front of the case, and 4 that's directly on the motherboard.
I have a USB 2.0 printer and a USB 2.0 bluetooth mouse and keyboard connected

If i leave my External HD connected in the back, there's no problem.
If i have my External HD connected in the back and have the flashdrive connected in the back too, my cursor lags a lot.
If i have my Flash Drive connected to the front, the flash drive disconnects and reconnects when there's heavy usage(format or transfer of large files)
If i have my Flash drive connected in the back without the External HD, there's no problem.

Can somebody help me out please. I have the latest drivers and software for my Motherboard. I just put this computer together a week ago.

There are two different USB 3.0 controllers on that motherboard. The Intel PCH provides up to 4, two of which are on the back panel and two of which are on the mainboard. The ASMedia 1042 also provides two USB 3.0 ports.

Find out where your front panel headers are connected to If connector is routed through the case and to a port on the back, then it may be connected to the ASMedia controller. If it is connected via a breakout header on the motherboard, then it is most likely connected to the Intel PCH. You will need to consult your motherboard manual to find out what controller it is attached to.

There are firmware updates available for the ASMedia 1042 which improve performance and solve issues such as this. There are also new drivers. I recommend installing both, and both can be obtained from Asus's website.

If it's connected to the onboard header, it's connected to the Intel PCH.

The USB3 ports marked USB3_E12 below the audio jacks on the back panel are connected to the ASMedia controlller

The USB3 ports marked USB3_E56 above the audio jacks on the back panel are connected to the Intel PCH.

The USB2 ports at the top of the back panel are connected to the Intel PCH.

If you have Windows 7 you will need to get drivers for the ASMedia storage controller. There is also a firmware update available. I'm surprised that these aren't listed under the Sabertooth Z77's download page but then again, Asus has never given the Sabertooth that much attention.

You can get the drivers and firmware here

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/asmedia.htm

there is also a Windows based firmware flashing utility under the Utilities section of the Rampage IV Extreme download page.

aupperk24

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
no, mouse is connected to a USB 2.0 port, as well as the printer.

Where can I find the intel PCH drivers for window 8?

also, when I try to update the ASMedia USB 3.0 Firmware downloaded off
http://www.station-drivers.com/page/asmedia.htm
as
"Version 120816-02-02-06D Pour Windows Xp/Vista/7/8 32/64bits",
their "Firmware Update Tool" says "The firmware updating is incomplete. Please contact ASUS technical support for further information."

when I try to update the driver, the only option the installer gives me is repair and uninstall, I click repair and I still get the same result with my USB 3.0 as if nothing has changed.

aupperk24

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

Nothing seems to be working. I downloaded all the latest drivers on asus website and it's still causing the same problem.