Closed

I7 2600k is idle at 60 C normal?

My new i7 2600k cpu is 60 C at idle, stock cooker, is this normal? I noticed that the thermal paste is quite hard
24 answers Last reply
More about 2600k idle normal
  1. No, that's way too high for idle. A 'stock cooker' indeed lol

I would definitely suggest cleaning the heatsink, reapplying a line of fresh thermal paste and reinstalling. Or better yet, buy a decent quality non-Intel cooler. Mine idles around 28 C, and that's at 4.4 ghz
  2. bearclaw99 said:
    No, that's way too high for idle. A 'stock cooker' indeed lol

I would definitely suggest cleaning the heatsink, reapplying a line of fresh thermal paste and reinstalling. Or better yet, buy a decent quality non-Intel cooler. Mine idles around 28 C, and that's at 4.4 ghz

well what heatsink you suggest? :)
  3. bearclaw99 said:
    No, that's way too high for idle. A 'stock cooker' indeed lol

What cooler are you on?
  4. How could this happened? I've tried changing thermal paste to silver, reinstal, reorient case fans, still no change. 60 idle, 70 after windows booted!

does motherboard plays a part in this? asus P8p67 deluxe
  5. How are you applying the paste? I'm idling 23-26C.
    The stock cooler should be able to do far better than 60C. There must be something wrong in the instalation. Can you confirm the fan is circulating and at what RPM?
  6. Also what are you using to determine temps? Mobo or a program like core temp?
  7. Most probably your heatsink is not seated correctly. Re-apply your thermal paste and make sure you don't use too much!
  8. Maybe your termal sensor in hte cpu is broken? I'd try touching the heatsink, using a termometer, something like that. Or try looking at different readings (from each cpu core, and your mobo sensor) through that Everest software.

If it is really that hot, and you have decent airflow, and your case isn't full of dirt, then your cpu is probably defective and you should contact assistance to troubleshoot it - maybe RMA it.
  9. Ripthruster said:
    How are you applying the paste? I'm idling 23-26C.
    The stock cooler should be able to do far better than 60C. There must be something wrong in the instalation. Can you confirm the fan is circulating and at what RPM?

I apply thermal paste in vertical line. Yes the fan is circulating, and according to bios, 1600 to 2000 rpm
  10. Ripthruster said:
    Also what are you using to determine temps? Mobo or a program like core temp?

only asus bios, warning of high temp prevent me from more advance attempt
  11. Zeh said:
    Maybe your termal sensor in hte cpu is broken? I'd try touching the heatsink, using a termometer, something like that. Or try looking at different readings (from each cpu core, and your mobo sensor) through that Everest software.

If it is really that hot, and you have decent airflow, and your case isn't full of dirt, then your cpu is probably defective and you should contact assistance to troubleshoot it - maybe RMA it.

the case is brand new, just arrived last week. Thermometer method is interesting. so there will be 2 independent report, the cpu censor and motherboard censor right? does cpu censor display in the bios?
  12. Also a line of paste is too much. One pea sized drop in the center is all you need. It is possible the pins are not holding the cooler tight enough to the cpu.
    Can you download "Coretemp" and use that to check against the mobo temp?
  13. ya I periodically touch the back plate and it's definiately cool, I will try to complete windows and driver install before taking temperature by software
  14. it appears i have been using old version of cpuz and coretemp lol silly me :kaola:

this is strange, the reading starts out at 60 min 72 max and gradually becaming cooler! now im installing driver, now it reads lo 32 hi 46-49, avg at 40

is this something to do with silver paste? or sensor being too new? where exactly is this mobo sensor?
  15. what's the ambient of people who get 28@ idle?
  16. Coolermaster Hyper 212+

I can't imagine your idles being at 60 C even on a correctly installed Intel stock cooler though
  17. em now it reads low 26 high 35 @ idle... if this is a cooler marketing strategy it almost worked.
  18. update: Ive finish setting up os, driver, case fan 'n' airflow and everything. coretemp now reads 27-32 on idle, 35-45 on practical load, and around 60-67 on sustained 100%, my thermometer placed beside cooler reads 25. however, bios still indicate cpu idle @55-65 c, although asus ai utility says mobo cpu sensor reads~30c, therefore there must be something wrong with that bios display isn't it? since all other source says otherwise.

l
  19. dontknownotsure said:
    update: Ive finish setting up os, driver, case fan 'n' airflow and everything. coretemp now reads 27-32 on idle, 35-45 on practical load, and around 60-67 on sustained 100%, my thermometer placed beside cooler reads 25. however, bios still indicate cpu idle @55-65 c, although asus ai utility says mobo cpu sensor reads~30c, therefore there must be something wrong with that bios display isn't it? since all other source says otherwise.

l

My BIOs reads mine at 40-43 idle but CoreTemp says 28-34 on all cores while idle.
  20. i also have a problem . I am using 2600k with asus p8p67 . my idle core temp readings are 35-40 but when its on a load its temperature is normally 90-95 . what should i do . i am using stock heat sink. should i go for liquid cooling . because i do a lot of 3d stuff ..

Your help is appreciable.

Thanks,
  21. sorry to do this, but i also have a problem, and i cant for the life of me figure out how to actually submit a new thread (i think its a browser compatibility problem), so i can only use quick reply.

One of my cores on my i5-2500k now reads 71C while the other three idle around 30C. This is after weeks of normal operation (around 65C under load) Could this massive difference be caused by thermal paste/heatsink, or is this a different sort of problem?
  22. @ dontknownotsure
    Don't sweat the High Idle temps in bios. Older systems normally report a low temp in bios, But the newer systems (SB) with stock HSF read higher in bios than after windows is loaded and at idle. CPU utilization is not that high while in bios, However when in windows the Utilization may be higher BUT windows will put the Cores to "Sleep" (really just way downclocks the cpu). This is sort of like Pulse width modulation (PWM), utilization is higher, but for shorter duration.

Important is verifing temps under load. Myself, I never use the Stock HSF. Do not even install, I leave in box to weigth the box down - prevents box from blowing away. As stated above the 212+ is a good alternative @ approx $45. - Protect that high cost CPU.

@ genghiskron
    For new thread - Click on "Ask the community" at the top of the CPU and Component page. Fill in blocks.
    (1) Your problem:
    (A) HSF not properly installed (need to verify that the white tabs all are protruding equally (On back side of MB.
    (B) Improper Application of thermo compound
    (c) A program is running on core 1 and other three cores are at Idle.
  23. You guys using the stock Intel heat sink, it's shipped with the power wire clipped around the fan area, un-clip the wire from around the perimeter of the fan area as it could touch the fan blade and slow or completely stop it from turning.
  24. dontknownotsure said:
    what's the ambient of people who get 28@ idle?

I idle at 28-30 with my 2600k overclocked to 4.63ghz. My ambient temps are usually hovering between 72-78 in my house. Hope that helps answer your question.

Asus P8P67 Deluxe 1155 mobo
    i7 2600k 3.4ghz overclocked to 4.63ghz
    Master Cooler v8 CPU cooler
    1000watt Kingwin Lazer modular PSU
    16g Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3
    Asus GTX560Ti x2 in SLI
    WD Velociraptor 10,000 RPM OS HD
    Western Digital Caviar 1Tb storage HD
    Win Home Premium 64bit
    HAFX full tower with 7 fans (5x200mm, 160mm, and 140mm)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7 Thermal Compound