Windows 7 - Converted Internal DVD Drive showing as USB ATA/ATAPI

CsoiretgeFsM

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Hey guys, I'm new here. This seems like a good place to ask so I thought I'd register.

Anyway, I have a converted Internal Sata LG DVD RAM Drive that I attached to an external 3.5" inch enclosure that has it's own power source adaptor (I just used the part that attaches to the drive and ditched the case.).

I use it as an external DVD drive for my windows XP computer that installed just fine and was recognized as is thanks to XP's plug and play compatibility.

But when I tried connecting it to Windows 7, it started detecting the new hardware as usual and finished installing, unfortunately yet also unsurprising since it is Windows 7,:
-It doesn't show up as a DVD Drive...
- Looked in my computer and there was no other drive there but the main boot drive...
- Went to "devices and printers" and it shows up as USB ATA/ATAPI Device??
- Went to device manager to see if it's there and it's listed under USB Devices as a "USB Mass Storage Device"
- Tried uninstalling/re-installing/updating the driver for it to no avail saying "driver is up to date".
- Went to disk management to try to initialize it and it gives me something like "cannot because of I/O Error"
- Even tried the deleting upperfilters lowerfilters method and still nothing.

Does anyone know how to get this to work on windows 7? cause if an outdated OS is still superior to plug n play, detection, and compatibility, then 7 is a piece of crap like vista was.

No offence to you 7 lovers out there, I get it, it looks nice visually but c'mon... 7 is not user friendly and has limited customization ability and compatibility.

CsoiretgeFsM

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Yeah I've had my fair share of customizing and modding and an adequate amount of computer knowledge. I know it's not "magic". I'm not computer illiterate.

I bought an unbranded cheap external enclosure. On/Off Switch, SATA, has it's own adaptor... it's supposed to be for a SATA HDD but like I said, ported it to use on a SATA DVD Drive instead.

But if Windows XP can detect and install it's drivers and still recognize it as an optical drive perfectly, why can't windows 7?

I even tried to force install the driver manually by choosing drivers from a list of manufacturers, but LG isn't listed... tried searching for the drivers as well and got nothing.

popatim

Titan
winXp drivers dont automatically work under win7. You can sometimes get them to work by installing them in XP mode but thats a little difficult to do since you dont actually have the drivers. The default win7 driver thinks the interface is hdd only.
The only thing I can think of off hand is to go into the properties of the "Mass Storage Device" and set it to removable.

CsoiretgeFsM

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013

dammit. I knew I hated windows 7 for a reason... it's predecessor, windows vista, being a pain in the ass in terms of compatibility too was already a bad sign that these new OS's are all about visual and less about function...

by that do you mean the removal policy? I tried switching between the two (safe removal and hotswap) and it did nothing. In device manager it's still listed under Disks as "USB Device" and under USB Devices as "USB Mass Storage".

I just need this damned OS to recognize the thing as an optical disk drive so I can use it because my computer already has max DVD/CD drives attached internally...

it's just so damn frustrating.

BOBBY_1987

Reputable
May 21, 2014