How Do You Test a PSU?

I wanted to Test this raidmax PSU I got for a Review im writing: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152043&cm_re=RAIDMAX_RX-_-17-152-043-_-Product

And heres an example of a review doing power tests: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Silent-Pro-M-850-W-Power-Supply-Review/810/7 and Here: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=166

But i dont know how they do it, what are some software i can use to test it and take screen shots?

Thanks
10 answers Last reply
More about test
  1. yutubemedia said:
    I wanted to Test this raidmax PSU I got for a Review im writing: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152043&cm_re=RAIDMAX_RX-_-17-152-043-_-Product

    And heres an example of a review doing power tests: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Silent-Pro-M-850-W-Power-Supply-Review/810/7 and Here: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=166

    But i dont know how they do it, what are some software i can use to test it and take screen shots?

    Thanks



    Here is a vid of Cosair testing Raidmax PSUs

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTVEtr14FEA


    Oh and there are professional PSU testers but I believe they are expensive.

    Is this your "Job" to test this. If it is you should not need our help. =P
  2. Randomacts said:
    Here is a vid of Cosair testing Raidmax PSUs

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTVEtr14FEA


    Oh and there are professional PSU testers but I believe they are expensive.

    Is this your "Job" to test this. If it is you should not need our help. =P



    serioously, come one, you dont even know what brand that is, so how do you test a psu, what software did they use it those links i gave?
  3. yutubemedia said:
    serioously, come one, you dont even know what brand that is, so how do you test a psu, what software did they use it those links i gave?



    To be honest I have no clue how to test a PSU..

    But it was proven later that the PSU used in that video was a Raidmax. ;)
  4. Randomacts said:
    To be honest I have no clue how to test a PSU..

    But it was proven later that the PSU used in that video was a Raidmax. ;)



    well, im sure raidmax could do the same with a corsair psu, you just overload it, exaggerate, and bam. that video is also 3 years old...but yeah, oh well
  5. yutubemedia said:
    well, im sure raidmax could do the same with a corsair psu, you just overload it, exaggerate, and bam. that video is also 3 years old...but yeah, oh well



    No raidmax is really THAT BAD.

    Ask anyone with half a brain here and they will tell you that.


    Oh and cosair is one of the best PSU brands.
  6. Randomacts said:
    No raidmax is really THAT BAD.

    Ask anyone with half a brain here and they will tell you that.


    seriously? Stop it! your scaring me! I have a raidmax PSU. WAAAAAAAA8((((( well its 850 watts so im sure it can handle my system,
  7. The professional way to test it is not with software at all. It is to apply dummy load resistors of different values to the different voltage rails to see what the max is. Then you will need some current sensing meters, and volt meters to figure out if the voltage is stable even at high loads, and also find out how efficient it is at small loads. Raidmax isn't one of the best, or even one of the 'good' brands to be looking at. Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, and a select few Cooler Masters are much better. If you really want to review it and test the loads, you need to invest in some specific equipment and training so you know how to tally the results for max loads and efficiency in the correct way. Also, the tech sites like to open the PSU to show what kind of parts the rails, filters, and caps have. So people can see if it is junk or not.
  8. yutubemedia said:
    well, im sure raidmax could do the same with a corsair psu, you just overload it, exaggerate, and bam. that video is also 3 years old...but yeah, oh well

    I'd like to see them try. Corsairs are very good PSU's with excellent overvoltage, undervoltage, and overcurrent protection. While it's possible to find a bad one, mostly when overloaded, they just nondestructively shut themselves off.

    Raidmax PSU's, especially the lower powered ones, have difficulty generating their rated power.
  9. 1965ohio said:
    The professional way to test it is not with software at all. It is to apply dummy load resistors of different values to the different voltage rails to see what the max is. Then you will need some current sensing meters, and volt meters to figure out if the voltage is stable even at high loads, and also find out how efficient it is at small loads. Raidmax isn't one of the best, or even one of the 'good' brands to be looking at. Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, and a select few Cooler Masters are much better. If you really want to review it and test the loads, you need to invest in some specific equipment and training so you know how to tally the results for max loads and efficiency in the correct way. Also, the tech sites like to open the PSU to show what kind of parts the rails, filters, and caps have. So people can see if it is junk or not.



    well do you think my rig will be okay using a raidmax psu? Should i truly worry about anything blowing up or breaking? I have one Sapphire 5870 2gb eyefinity card, and a i7 950, with 8gb of ram, and a gigabyte X58-USB3 motherboard.??

    Thanks
  10. yutubemedia said:
    well do you think my rig will be okay using a raidmax psu? Should i truly worry about anything blowing up or breaking? I have one Sapphire 5870 2gb eyefinity card, and a i7 950, with 8gb of ram, and a gigabyte X58-USB3 motherboard.??

    Thanks


    It should be fine. If you want to check the stability, buy a simple digital voltmeter. Test the 12v outputs at normal operation. Then run a heavy load like a benchmark test. Test the voltage again. If the 12 output is stable across all the loads, doesn't fluctuate or drop, then it is fine. Raidmax usually is highly over rated. So if it says 750w, then it's probably 650. You get the idea. In your setup, you are not going to max it out, so it should be fine as long as the voltage is stable, and it doesn't run hot.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Raidmax Power Software Components Product