Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC build advice

Last response: in Storage
February 5, 2013 7:51:02 PM

Hi...I'm a noob when it comes to PC building, so I've purchased an old (2005) Compaq Presario SR1300AN with an ASUS A7V8X-LA motherboard. I'm just planning to tinker with it (add an AGP graphics card, wireless card etc) and get some experience. It currently has a 40gb, 5400 rpm IDE hard drive which I'd like to replace with a Western Digital Caviar 3.5" hard drive SE EIDE 7200RPM 8MB (320gb). My question is: will this mobo/machine accept this drive? Will the BIOS be modern enough to deal with this drive?

Many thanks in advance for an advice you guys can offer. :) 

More about : build advice

a c 317 G Storage
February 5, 2013 10:57:54 PM

You can use a 320Gb drive, but IIRC that board is only SATA I so you may need to jumper the drive to work on SATA I if it is a SATA II drive, some needed that and some didn't. Take a look at the WD site for details on that particular drive.
m
l
February 5, 2013 11:07:46 PM

RealBeast said:
You can use a 320Gb drive, but IIRC that board is only SATA I so you may need to jumper the drive to work on SATA I if it is a SATA II drive, some needed that and some didn't. Take a look at the WD site for details on that particular drive.

Pardon my ignorance RealBeast, but what is jumper(ing?)?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 317 G Storage
February 5, 2013 11:14:45 PM

Not an issue of ignorance, I'm just old so we used to use jumpers a lot. :) 

To run many hard drives as SATA I drives you may need to slip a small two pin jumper to short two pins on the group of small pins on the back of the drive where the IDE and power connectors are -- there will be around 10 pins and you need to look at the drive literature to determine the correct pins, but HERE is the general idea.
February 5, 2013 11:18:41 PM

RealBeast said:

RealBeast - all I can garner from the WD site is that the drive's interface is PATA 100MB/s and there is no SATA latching cable
m
l
February 5, 2013 11:26:08 PM

RealBeast said:
Not an issue of ignorance, I'm just old so we used to use jumpers a lot. :) 

To run many hard drives as SATA I drives you may need to slip a small two pin jumper to short two pins on the group of small pins on the back of the drive where the IDE and power connectors are -- there will be around 10 pins and you need to look at the drive literature to determine the correct pins, but HERE is the general idea.

Thanks VERY much for that link. :)  One final query, where would I acquire such a jumper? :??: 
m
l
a c 317 G Storage
February 5, 2013 11:32:38 PM

It would be the same jumper that would be used on a motherboard or other computer cards.

I have a huge drawer full and if you can't find one, just PM me an address and I'll mail you some. :) 
m
l
February 6, 2013 12:11:06 AM

RealBeast said:
It would be the same jumper that would be used on a motherboard or other computer cards.

I have a huge drawer full and if you can't find one, just PM me an address and I'll mail you some. :) 

Thanks for the offer (most generous :)  ) but I just pulled out the machine's current hard drive and saw the jumper you mentioned. I've learnt something already!

Also, I don't know if it means anything, but I noticed the two SATA connectors on the motherboard are labelled "SATA 1" and "SATA 2" (one is black, the other is white) - could this mean it'll accept a SATA 2 drive without the jumper changeover?
m
l
a c 317 G Storage
February 6, 2013 12:41:08 PM

No, those are the 1st and 2nd SATA I ports, not SATA II ports.

But you are planning to use an EIDE drive so the SATA question is really moot -- sorry for missing that initially. The drive will work fine, just set it as the master on the IDE controller.

I'm not even sure that the board can boot from a SATA I drive, although I know it can use them as secondary drives. There may have been a later bios that enabled a SATA boot.
m
l
February 6, 2013 8:58:06 PM

Thanks for the advice. :) 

I also found a Youtube video re. jumper positioning and cable placement, so hopefully all shall be well.
m
l
February 6, 2013 8:58:26 PM

Best answer selected by woodson75.
m
l
!