Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD Phenom vs Intel Core i5

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 22, 2011 11:48:16 AM

Hi All,

I am here again asking your advise on what CPU to get for my second self build game pc.

I always had AMD in the past. Having a Dell C521 with a Sempron which I upgraded to a Brisbane chip(with the help of Malmental).

After that I built pc with an Athlon 640 which I will give to my gf. Now, I like to try something a step up from the Athlon 640 set up.

I play mostly C&C type of games and with all the settings on the high with max number of opponents the game seems to go into slow motion(that's how I described it). Which I think pushes the 640 to it's limits. I maybe wrong but this kind of games demand more from the cpu than the gpu. I have a Radeon HD 4870 x2 so I think it's more than enough to cope with the games graphics.

I have narrowed down two chisp based on the money I can spend. These are the two:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T

Intel Core i5 650 3.20GHz Socket 1156

They are both cost the same. Would this two have a mark improvement compared to the Athlon 640? Has anyone have experience using this chips?

Is there any other you could suggest which cost the same?

Any help will appreciated.


Racingzone




More about : amd phenom intel core

a b à CPUs
January 22, 2011 1:27:16 PM

racingzone said:
Hi All,

I am here again asking your advise on what CPU to get for my second self build game pc.

I always had AMD in the past. Having a Dell C521 with a Sempron which I upgraded to a Brisbane chip(with the help of Malmental).

After that I built pc with an Athlon 640 which I will give to my gf. Now, I like to try something a step up from the Athlon 640 set up.

I play mostly C&C type of games and with all the settings on the high with max number of opponents the game seems to go into slow motion(that's how I described it). Which I think pushes the 640 to it's limits. I maybe wrong but this kind of games demand more from the cpu than the gpu. I have a Radeon HD 4870 x2 so I think it's more than enough to cope with the games graphics.

I have narrowed down two chisp based on the money I can spend. These are the two:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T

Intel Core i5 650 3.20GHz Socket 1156

They are both cost the same. Would this two have a mark improvement compared to the Athlon 640? Has anyone have experience using this chips?

Is there any other you could suggest which cost the same?

Any help will appreciated.


Racingzone

Core i5 650 is overpriced! i5 760 should be the one to compare with 1055T.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/191?vs=147
(N.B. Lower is better in some of the benchmarks)
m
0
l
Related resources
January 22, 2011 1:46:54 PM

andy5174 said:
Core i5 650 is overpriced! i5 760 should be the one to compare with 1055T.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/191?vs=147
(N.B. Lower is better in some of the benchmarks)


Im surprise to see the comparison in that site. It looks like my 640 aint that much slower compared to those two.

Need to think now if it's going to be worth building a new one now.

Maybe I will just hold on to this for a few months and save up for middle range i7.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2011 1:48:13 PM

Are the games you play single or multi-threaded? I've got both - a 1055T and a i5 750. The 1055T has more raw "horsepower" when all six threads are used, however the i5 beats it in single thread.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2011 1:51:00 PM

racingzone said:
Maybe I will just hold on to this for a few months and save up for middle range i7.

It would be a good idea if not in urgent!

i7-2600K's price should drop by the end of the year, because the new enthusiast platform will be released by then.
m
0
l
a c 900 à CPUs
a c 360 À AMD
January 22, 2011 1:55:42 PM

racingzone said:
Im surprise to see the comparison in that site. It looks like my 640 aint that much slower compared to those two.

Need to think now if it's going to be worth building a new one now.

Maybe I will just hold on to this for a few months and save up for middle range i7.

The 1055 runs slower than the 640 therefore it looses in games at stock clocks (very few games support many cores). Saving for a new Sandy Bridge setup is not a bad idea if your main goal is gaming.
m
0
l
January 22, 2011 1:56:37 PM

EXT64 said:
Are the games you play single or multi-threaded? I've got both - a 1055T and a i5 750. The 1055T has more raw "horsepower" when all six threads are used, however the i5 beats it in single thread.



EXT64,

Thanks for that info. I play mostly C&C 4. Sometimes I notice the games slows when even the opponents is max out.

I honestly don't know if C&C 4 is a single or multi treaded.

Thanks
m
0
l
January 27, 2011 10:15:31 AM

Best answer selected by racingzone.
m
0
l
!