What speed?

nicpy

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
:hello: I recently upgraded the memory on my Acer Aspire 5742 to the maximum allowable 8gb (2x4gb) Recommended from Crucial I went for two 1333mhz sticks, trouble is that on boot up it reports 1067mhz (DOS screen) CPUZ reports 553mhz (x2 =1067) and PC Advisor also reports 1067mhz. There is no facility in the BIOS to alter memory settings, so the question arises is there any software that I can use to ascertain what actual speed it is running at or is the memory running at a motherboards maximum allowed of 1067mhz?

nicpy

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Thank you for that response, I am now trying to find the definitive answer to what is the maximum speed memory this laptop will support. Acer refers me to Dixon`s group support, but their answers seem confusing! I have tried the Intel chipset identifier, but if I`m honest I am going round in circles with this, can any one help?

The max speed your MB can handle is 1066 MHz RAM, unfortunately since it is a laptop all controls that would let you possibly overclock the RAM are disabled. If your MB was able to run at a faster speed, it would run at the default speed of the RAM, which is only 1 performance step higher than what it is running at.

btw, you are not taking much (if any) of a performance hit between the speeds.

Hello,

Your laptop is a budget laptop. Also most laptops don't even have a setting to change the memory speed.

As the others have already said, you will not be able to change the speed.

It's not really a fast laptop to begin with. Even if you could change it to 1333Mhz - you would only gain probably around ~2% extra performance. If that.

Why do you want to change it to 1333Mhz? Besides of course actually getting the 1333Mhz speed.

nicpy

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Again many thanks for your response. Since posting my earlier message, a little more research has revealed that it is the CPU (Intel i3 380m) that controls memory speeds, not the chipset as I had thought earlier. This has led me to an Intel web page which gives all the relevant specs, the memory controller in the processor allows only for 1066mhz and 800mhz DD3, so it will down clock the 1333mhz I have installed to 1066.
http://ark.intel.com/products/50178/Intel-Core-i3-380M-Processor-(3M-Cache-2_53-GHz)

In response to software that shows what the memory is running at, try CPUID CPU-z.
It will show what the memory is running at (Memory tab at top) and under SPD will identify the memory and show what speeds / CL ratings are available.

Don't you hate it when laptop/store bought computers come with "stipped down/locked bios'

nicpy

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011

Well it came with only 3GB so expansion to 8gb seemed logical, the Crucial memory advisor offered 1333mhz at almost the same price as 1066mhz so it made sense to go for the higher speed.

nicpy

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
I must confess my disapoinment in my dealings with Crucial over this. the memory advisor on their website recommends up 1333mhz DDR3, as I know now it can only run at 1067mhz. they hide behind the word compatibility, there reasoning, industry standard thing they say! if it boots up its 100% compatible. As I write this their website is still recommending 1333mhz as being a suitable upgrade for my Acer 5742. No thanks from them for sending concrete information that this laptop won`t run this speed, just a unilateral decision from them to reimburse me the difference in price between 1067 and 1333mhz memory. so if you should be using their website memory advisor, then take what it says with a large `pinch of salt`