Windows 7 wont come out of safe mode

EJavaM07

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Hello,
I've tried setting the Startup selection on the General tab to Normal Startup, and on the Boot tab, I've cleared Safe Boot from the Boot options, have then applied by changes, said ok, rebooted, and we're right back on the Safe Mode screen. Any ideas? TIA

See what entries are in your boot.ini file.

EJavaM07

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011

Did that, plus set the Startup selection to Normal startup, plus Applied, and Ok, and then a restart; keeps coming up in Safe Mode.

EJavaM07

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011

Mom's PC: so I have no idea what she was installing, what that would do, or how far back that would take her.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
have you asked your mom what she was doing/installing before this started?
have you even looked in "programs and features" to see if there's anything recently installed that looks fishy?
have you run a malware and virus scan?
have you tried a restore point?

EJavaM07

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011

GOOD QUESTIONS:

She doesn't remember.
Most of the icons on the Desktop are MIA in Safe Mode, so can't even get to Control Panel.
AVG caught, and I quarantined 3 trojans, and MalwareBytes caught, and I quarantined another 10 trojans.
Going back the six months to the most recent Restore Point would wipe out a lot of her work, and is not acceptable to her.

I'm a Linux guy, so don't know this OS well enough to solve this but, is it possible that during the Boot Sequence something is going wrong that causes the boot process to move to safe mode, over and over again? If so, is there an Error Log that I could get to with a Keyboard Shortcut, where I could browse the latest error listings, as I probably can't touch the icon I need?

EJavaM07

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
FYI: Sorry, but did not get a suitable answer.

Ultimately, tried to do a Windows 7 system reinstall from her DVD. That failed, although I had done a System Restore just prior.

Now, the DVD refuses to recognize the Windows 7 disk, and we still keep going into Safe Mode.

When the PC first boots, we hit the key to "load from CD", and it looks like it starts from the DVD (for about 15 secs), but then the screen goes black, and eventually we're right back in Safe Mode, so no progress yet.

We're shipping the PC back to the team who assembled it, as they haven't been able to figure it out yet either.

Sorry for not choosing a Best Answer above; nobody has done it for me yet.

However, thank you for your attempts.

Best Regards
EJavaM07