Sign in with
Your question

AMD Gaming build pc

Last response: in Systems
October 28, 2010 9:35:32 AM

Hy, i came to this site because i hope you can help me here, all other sites in my country are a little dump or lazzy not answering my questions, so pls try and help me, tnx :D 

I'm building myself a new pc because i have a huge bottleneck off my cpu and other things (motherboard, psu, hdd) so i decided to make it from scratch.

I'm really an amd fan so i allways wanted to make myself an amd gaming pc.

Now i'm curious about these two cpu-s:

- phenom x4 965
- phenom x6 1075T
- phenom x6 1090T

I want my sistem to be gamin pc and a little for productivity i want to record my games and edit them, so will it be 965 enought and will those two phenoms x6 be a waste off money or either one off the x6 series, but which one, is it 1075t good enought? remmember i want my pc to be for 4-5 years att least to play games on high- very high settings. i will put in in amd 6870 in crossfirex mode. and will the 750w gaming psu be enought???

More about : amd gaming build

October 28, 2010 9:40:12 AM

oh yeah and i forgot why i'm choosing betwen the x4 and x6 version, its because the six core cpus today games do not recognize and only run on 4 cores, or will this turbo mode figure it up and saves the day??? xD
October 28, 2010 11:30:37 AM

While there are only a few games that will see a quad core it will help on games that are more cpu aware, as for a six core, your on your own there...:) 
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 28, 2010 11:35:20 AM

If your needs outside gaming was more CPU intensive like

Rendering (single or farm)
Encoding
Video Editing
Compiling
Engineering/Mathematical apps

then X6 looks spot on else 955BE and a HD 6870 at the very least These really could do with a quality 650W 80+ PSU but i'd hit a 700W one just for good measure hehe Games are in the past, currently and in future preety much more influenced by GPU more than any other h/w ^^

The Game Rundown: Finding CPU/GPU Bottlenecks, Part 2
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-performance-bo...
Quote:
Conclusion: A Trend Toward 3+ Cores

The average optimal number of CPU cores suggested by the test results is 2.75, showing a clear trend towards at least three CPU cores.The question of whether the CPU or GPU is most important is easily answered. If you don't have a multi-core CPU, then upgrade it. If you have a dual-core CPU at around 3 GHz, then invest your money into a graphics card, as most games are GPU-limited. This is not something that will change with new DirectX 11 games.

a b B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2010 11:45:15 AM

Not only are the extra cores worthless for gaming purposes, 6 cores actually slow down some applications. They are specialized CPU's only to be used for specialized purposes.

And while you'll be recording and editing your gameplay, you're still better off with a Phenom IIX4 9xx with a high end GPU.

You say you wanna play "on very high" settings. I'll prolly save the money on the CPU and spend the extra on a 5870 or a GTX 480.

For a 6870 Xfire set-up though, a 750 Watt unit should be enough.
October 28, 2010 11:54:05 AM

calguyhunk said:
Not only are the extra cores worthless for gaming purposes, 6 cores actually slow down some applications. They are specialized CPU's only to be used for specialized purposes.

And while you'll be recording and editing your gameplay, you're still better off with a Phenom IIX4 9xx with a high end GPU.

You say you wanna play "on very high" settings. I'll prolly save the money on the CPU and spend the extra on a 5870 or a GTX 480.

For a 6870 Xfire set-up though, a 750 Watt unit should be enough.

well when i record know with my old cpu it lags as hell so i tought if i had more cores like the x6 version it would record better on higher fps. or not? well i mentione di want and 6870 x2 in crosfirex mode so i think it would be cool right? im just curious about the procersor the price beetwen the x4 965 and x6 1090t is like 100€
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 28, 2010 12:02:40 PM

Actually BC2 and Napoleon Wars do better on an X6 but thats not to say everyone should conclude that X6..just like even X4 is representative/optimized for an even spread of games which even the latter is not as shown by Toms hehe Even if i were looking at a Thuban i would compensate a slightly lower clocked one via OC and for this the $19x USD 1055T looks juicy ^^
October 28, 2010 8:11:49 PM

well thanks guys for all i think i'll go for the x6 version especialy the 1055t but it has locked multiplayer, only that bothers me. because its only a few bucks more expensive then 965
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
October 28, 2010 8:42:53 PM

Be careful about that PSU. Someone selling a "750W gaming PSU" may be trying to pass off a colorfully-lighted piece of junk that may not be good for 500W, let alone 750W. Look for full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and 80+ certification. Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, Enermax, and XFX are among the better brands.
October 28, 2010 8:48:10 PM

Are you merely upgrading your old pc ? because a new build would definately look at the Intel options... much newer CPU designs.
October 28, 2010 10:45:35 PM

is this psu good enoght??

Cooler Master GX 750W "Gamer Xtreme"
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 29, 2010 1:57:50 AM

Johnny Guru rates the CM Silent Pro series highly so if u looking at CM PSUs the Silent Pro 700 actually comes in a solid combo with HAF 912 ^^
October 29, 2010 2:13:40 AM

id say go with the fastest x6 you can. sure todays games arent supporting x4 yet but as you said in your OP you want at least 4-5 years out of it. surely by then x6 cores should be supported in high end games.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
October 29, 2010 9:40:06 AM

Of those two, the ModXStream will be the better one.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 29, 2010 10:07:43 AM

Anandtech gaming benchmarks - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T vs Intel Core i3 540

Sorry, hiti3, I know you are an AMD fan. But had to do this if only for educational purposes. Go ahead, get your AMD system. It should still be good enough. Just don't get the hexacore for crying out loud. Get a Phenom II 955 or something.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
October 29, 2010 8:42:56 PM

Interesting that; that as superior as the 1055T is at almost everything else, in the games on the benchmark, there's little difference, or the lowly i3 comes out ahead.
The caveat here is that your games, if of a different type (e.g. RTS), may bench differently, I suspect favoring more real cores.
Here, for example, the X4 955 is also faster than the 1055T in games: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/147?vs=88 and also faster than the i3: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/143?vs=88
So, that just means if you're building an AMD gamer, choose X4, not X6.
October 30, 2010 1:40:13 PM

x4 955 is better than the 1055t in games because it has higher clock speed, if i overclock the x6 lets say to 2,6 ghz it will perform better in games and if i will record my games it will be even better, so...
!