Sign in with
Your question

Help choosing monitor for 5870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 8, 2010 6:23:23 PM

HI,

I am having trouble deciding on a new monitor to go with my 5870 and to replace my 22" Syncmaster. I have around £250-£300 to spend. I will be using it for gaming and internet browsing with a bit of word processing now and again.

I am leaning towards the Samsung p2770h though some people think that it may be too big and have also looked at 24" LED screens such as the BENQ G2420HDBL. I wouldn't mind 19020x1200 res but know the standard has changed now.

What does everyone think? Will 27" be too big, if not would this be a good monitor or is this a better alternative? Or should I go with the 24" LED screen.

Thanks for any opinions.

More about : choosing monitor 5870

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 8, 2010 6:42:26 PM

I too feel 27" as a pretty big number when it comes to monitor screen sizes.. Ideally, 24" is enough.. However, since you already have a 22" display, you might not find any huge differences which brings me to the query, why do you want to upgrade.? You'll probably end up getting a monitor with the same max native resolution as your current display.. What extra features are you looking at.?
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2010 6:48:22 PM

That Sammy 27" will be more than fine, I have that same screen in 24" and love it. The only reason I didn't go with the 27" is because I plan on buying 2 more for eye-finity and do not want to break the bank.
Related resources
September 8, 2010 6:51:57 PM

Mainly I am looking at moving up on the resolution as have 1680x1050 at the moment and as I play MMO's a fair bit the screen can look quite cluttered in certain games. Also would like to take advantage of the 5870's capapbilities a bit more at the higher res.
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2010 7:13:02 PM

maximusmi2 said:
Mainly I am looking at moving up on the resolution as have 1680x1050 at the moment and as I play MMO's a fair bit the screen can look quite cluttered in certain games. Also would like to take advantage of the 5870's capapbilities a bit more at the higher res.

I went from 1680 x 1050 22" to 1920x 1080p 24" and noticed a huge improvement, finally got a chance to let my 5850 flex it's muscle's and let the CPU take a break.
September 8, 2010 7:33:21 PM

OvrClkr said:
I went from 1680 x 1050 22" to 1920x 1080p 24" and noticed a huge improvement, finally got a chance to let my 5850 flex it's muscle's and let the CPU take a break.

I might go with the 2770 then although I only sit about 3 feet from the screen so hopefully it won't seem too big.

If I decide on 24" is the Samsung a good screen or should I think about an LED one?
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2010 7:50:43 PM

maximusmi2 said:
I might go with the 2770 then although I only sit about 3 feet from the screen so hopefully it won't seem too big.

If I decide on 24" is the Samsung a good screen or should I think about an LED one?

It's up to you, if had the cash for the 27" I wouldn't hesitate, I personally tested that screen at my local Sam's Club and it was a blast. Rich vibrant colors, amazing response time and nice aesthetics.. The LED screens are nice n all but too expensive when it comes to the top brands/models.

September 8, 2010 8:03:00 PM

I think that settles it, thanks for the advice everyone
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2010 8:05:52 PM

maximusmi2 said:
I think that settles it, thanks for the advice everyone

Keep us posted once you make your purchase ;) 
September 18, 2010 11:27:50 AM

The P2770h is currently sold out a the price I want to pay for it.

I am however close to pulling the trigger on the LG W2753VC for £250 delivered.

http://www.lg.com/uk/it-products/monitors/LG-lcd-monito...

However I can't find any reviews for this anywhere and I don't usually like buying without someones feedback.

Has anyone had experience of this monitor or know if it's any good or just experience with LG monitors?
September 18, 2010 11:36:09 AM

Nevermind the bit about me not being able to find it. I just knocked off the c and googled w2753vc and found more information (not sure what the c variant is).

Could still do with feedback on this particular one though as never had LG before and don't want to be disappointed!

Thanks
September 21, 2010 11:56:58 PM

After much research I finally decided to pull the trigger on 2 x Benq G2420HDBL 24" LED backlit monitors. These had great reviews on overclockers UK and on many forums and I also felt after looking at some in person that a 27" would be too big.

I am extremely glad I went this way as theses monitors are brilliant. I calibrated them using various online tools and have to say they are almost perfect (in my opinion). Whites are super bright, blacks are deep, the contrast is noticeably better than my old Samsung and colours are vibrant and not washed out. Have checked for dead/stuck pixels and there were none and on the lightbleed check I struggled to notice it sat in a dark room.

Price wise they are a bargain too. I got both delivered for a grand total of £300 and the dual screen set up works well as the bezel is very thin. Will probably upgrade my card and get a 3rd for eyefinity.

I can't recommend this highly enough!
!