Game keeps slowing down until 32 fps

pderieu

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
Hello,
I play shooter games and the game that's causing my problems is Soldier Front. In the lobby if I restart my computer I get 40fps, after about 1 hour the fps drops to 32 in the lobby. Ingame it drops from 32.4 to 30. It NEVER goes under 30. Is there something wrong with my Graphics Card? I have 4 case fans and no dust in my pc. I'm thinking its my CPU slowing down or my Graphics card slowing down

Provide more information

CPU: _______ ?
GPU: _______ ?
PC Case: ______?
RAM INFO: _______?
Monitor Resolution: ______?

All these things will help us determine what's going on for you. :) It could be anything from the video card getting hot and slowing itself down some. It could also be the CPU creating a bottleneck once lots of data is loaded and being processed.

It could also be that you dont' have enough RAM, and after playing (and filling the physical RAM with data) it's slowing things down due to data swaps between the CPU/RAM and your hard drive.

More info helps a bunch!

pderieu

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
CPU:

AMD Phenom X4 9150e Quad 1.8GHZ

GPU:

W2361 @ 1920x1080
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

RAM:

8.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz (6-6-6-18)

Modded manufacturer case:

Mounted 3 Case fans on Vent

And my video card/cpu NEVER get hot. All stay well below 80C.

Okay, RAM is not your issue with 8GB.

1920x1080 can be a demanding resolution for some game titles. Which 5700 series GPU do you have? The highest model in that line is the 5770, which is capable of playing 1920x1080 resolution with a lot of games. There are also some lesser 5700 cards. Can you tell us the exact model?

Also, although 80C may not be exceedingly hot for a GPU, 80C would be dangerous for a CPU. An AMD Phenom X4 would not be safe if running temps of like 68-70C or above. So can you be more precise with actual temperatures on the CPU and GPU? Just so we can be sure you don't have any problems there?

Soldier Front: I'm not familiar with the game. However, screenshots I'm finding online suggest this is a VERY old game from a graphical stand point. You should easily be hitting well over 30-40FPS when playing this game just based on the screenshots. Even with a low end 5700 series GPU.

christiangordon

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
I agree with jerreece.

You have plenty of RAM and your video cards seems fine but to be sure we need the exact model. What driver are you using for the video card too.

If your CPU is running at 80C I would expect it to shut down. Them temp limit by AMD is 70C

pderieu

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
It's not overheating...

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9150e Quad 1.8GHZ
GPU: ATI RADEON 5750 HD TURBO
PSU: ANTEC 500W POWER SUPPLY (90$)
RAM: 8.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz (6-6-6-18)
HDD: 625GB Western Digital WDC WD6400AAKS-22A7B2 ATA Device (IDE)
MOTHERBOARD: Motherboard
Manufacturer Gateway
Model RS780
Version 7B3P091G
Chipset Vendor AMD
Chipset Model 780G

core voltage: 1.088V
core speed: 1.801GHZ

Temps are fine

Thanks for the additional specs. :) Your machine is definitely more than capable of running such a low graphics game like that Soldier Front. However, the comments you made above (which I've highlighted) concern me. You said they are less than 80C, but haven't provided any actual numbers. So it'd be nice to make sure you truly aren't overheating.

Also, do you play this game "Full Screen" or does it play in "Windowed" mode? In other words, when playing the game can you see the task bar, or your desktop? Or does the game fill 100% of the screen?

Also, if the game is running fast and smooth, why are you even concerned? :heink:

As a total side note, such a game which is obviously based on such old graphic standards (even for it's 2007 release date) is more than likely a single threaded application. So a single CPU core @ 1.8Ghz isn't the fastest thing in the world. Albeit, this game looks pretty simple. *shrug*

My first thought was RAM, but 8GB is plenty. Could be related to the size of your HD though, if the game is using a lot of virtual memory...(leading to data spread all over the HD, decreasing access times). A 4 FPS drop over time isn't that worrying though...

Martin 71

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Guys. Look at his cpu. 1.8 ghz. That is his bottleneck right there... My phenom was bottlenecking my 5850 at 3.4 so I'd assume that it'd bottleneck a 5770 at 1.8 maybe even a 5750 (if he's running one)

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
Based on D1RTYJu1C3's research that the game is capped then you can't do anything to get better frame rates. Resetting your computer is only artifically inflating your FPS until the cap begins to take over again.

Some slowdown over time is normal for any game, simply due to the increased size of the game's address space. Nevermind decreasing amount of free memory and increased framentation of the virtual address space across the hard drive...

If you dropped by a more significant amount over time (10+ FPS) then I'd be worried. But such a small drop over time is both normal and expected.

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Once again the framerates are capped at 32fps if you are getting 30fps then it is not you system it is the max framerates that the game will allow. The first guy in this thread is getting the same framerates as you but also says the framerate are capped, not only that look at his system specs, it is not your system you have alot newer hardware and could play this game maxed out at alot higher framerates if the framerates werent capped. Here is the thread.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/gaming-forum/pc-gaming-support/465879-soldier-front-fps-lag.html
and another.
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/soldierfront/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-47715006&pid=939899
[:bohleyk:1]