Toshiba Satellite Battery problem

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
January 17, 2005 7:19:33 AM

Hello,

I have a Toshiba Satellite S1730 running Linux. Everything was working
correctly one year ago, and I could keep this computer at least 2 hours
running on the battery. But I kept the computer on AC a few months
turned on never using the battery. The problem is that now as soon as
I unplug the AC, the computer turn off (and I can't turn it on without
the AC). I thought about a battery problem so I bought a new one on
kahlon.com, but I have exactly the same problem with the new one (turn
off as soon as I unplug, can't turn on without AC).
When I look at the battery status I can see this :
$ cat /proc/apm
1.16ac 1.2 0x03 0x01 0x00 0x01 99% 198 min

One night I kept the computer off with the AC to try to recharge the
battery. The battery green light was flashing. When I wake up it was no
more flashing, but the battery still would not work.

Anyone aldready had this problem, and have an idea how I can resolve
this ?

Thanks

Nicolas

--
gpg fp: 8a7e 9719 b38d 97c6 6af0 d345 12a0 3708 2c8c 3c11
http://boklm.mars-attacks.org/

> No, buying a new battery did not resolve the problem. It did not
change
> anything, I have exactly the same problem with the new one.

If the machine is not under warranty, I would open it and check that
the battery connector's solder joints are good. Also check the
continuity of any fuses inline with the battery inputs.

It sounds like either the charge controller can't talk to the "smarts"
in the battery, or the ADC that reads the temp sensor in the battery
pack is reading wrong due to open circuit, damaged microcontroller,
damaged passive component in between battery and microcontroller...

Either way the machine won't charge the battery under these conditions,
for safety reasons.

If the machine cannot query the "smart" battery it will usually assume
the battery is dead and will not start up, even if it is getting a good
voltage on the pack outputs.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 17, 2005 8:08:14 PM

On 17 Jan 2005 04:19:33 GMT, nicolas vigier <boklm@mars-attacks.org>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a Toshiba Satellite S1730 running Linux. Everything was working
>correctly one year ago, and I could keep this computer at least 2 hours
>running on the battery. But I kept the computer on AC a few months
>turned on never using the battery. The problem is that now as soon as
>I unplug the AC, the computer turn off (and I can't turn it on without
>the AC). I thought about a battery problem so I bought a new one on
>kahlon.com, but I have exactly the same problem with the new one (turn
>off as soon as I unplug, can't turn on without AC).
>When I look at the battery status I can see this :
>$ cat /proc/apm
>1.16ac 1.2 0x03 0x01 0x00 0x01 99% 198 min
>
>One night I kept the computer off with the AC to try to recharge the
>battery. The battery green light was flashing. When I wake up it was no
>more flashing, but the battery still would not work.
>
>Anyone aldready had this problem, and have an idea how I can resolve

You resolve it by buying a new battery. Running on ac makes the
machine hot, heat kills batteries, end of story.
a b D Laptop
January 17, 2005 9:58:27 PM

On 2005-01-17, Chris Hill <hillco@earthlink.net> wrote:

> You resolve it by buying a new battery. Running on ac makes the
> machine hot, heat kills batteries, end of story.

No, buying a new battery did not resolve the problem. It did not change
anything, I have exactly the same problem with the new one.

--
gpg fp: 8a7e 9719 b38d 97c6 6af0 d345 12a0 3708 2c8c 3c11
http://boklm.mars-attacks.org/
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 18, 2005 8:14:57 AM

Chris Hill <hillco@earthlink.net> wrote:

> You resolve it by buying a new battery. Running on ac makes the
> machine hot, heat kills batteries, end of story.

The s329 satellite I use has a Centrino in it, which really doesn't get the
underside hot at all, even over long periods of time. I keep the AC attached
when using or on standby, unattached when off. Something like 8 hours on, the
rest off in a typical day. Even after a particularly hefty cpu and hd load for
a significant amount of time, feeling the underside where the battery lies
yields nothing even remotely akin to 'hot'. A little warmth maybe. Where the
cpu is located yes, definitely warm but not hot.

Figure I'm not harming the battery (significantly) since this particular cpu
runs pretty cool. Moreover, the batterty isn't where the cpu and hd are.

If anyone has a different take on this please, I need educating; this is my
first notebook. Nex
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 18, 2005 4:54:03 PM

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 05:14:57 +0000 (UTC), Alan Pollock
<nex@nopanix.com> wrote:

>Chris Hill <hillco@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> You resolve it by buying a new battery. Running on ac makes the
>> machine hot, heat kills batteries, end of story.
>

>The s329 satellite I use has a Centrino in it, which really doesn't get the
>underside hot at all, even over long periods of time. I keep the AC attached
>when using or on standby, unattached when off. Something like 8 hours on, the
>rest off in a typical day. Even after a particularly hefty cpu and hd load for
>a significant amount of time, feeling the underside where the battery lies
>yields nothing even remotely akin to 'hot'. A little warmth maybe. Where the
>cpu is located yes, definitely warm but not hot.
>
>Figure I'm not harming the battery (significantly) since this particular cpu
>runs pretty cool. Moreover, the batterty isn't where the cpu and hd are.

I guess we'll know the answer in about a year. The charging circuit
can also influence how long a batery will last if the machine is left
on ac all the time. I just wouldn't do it considering a decent ups
can be had much cheaper than a new battery.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 19, 2005 11:34:44 AM

On 2005-01-17, larwe@larwe.com <larwe@larwe.com> wrote:

>> No, buying a new battery did not resolve the problem. It did not
> change
>> anything, I have exactly the same problem with the new one.
>
> If the machine is not under warranty, I would open it and check that
> the battery connector's solder joints are good. Also check the
> continuity of any fuses inline with the battery inputs.
>
> It sounds like either the charge controller can't talk to the "smarts"
> in the battery, or the ADC that reads the temp sensor in the battery
> pack is reading wrong due to open circuit, damaged microcontroller,
> damaged passive component in between battery and microcontroller...

Ok, I'll check that. Thanks for your answer.

--
gpg fp: 8a7e 9719 b38d 97c6 6af0 d345 12a0 3708 2c8c 3c11
http://boklm.mars-attacks.org/
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 21, 2005 4:10:42 AM

FWIW, the 1700's are "bad" compal units, they mostly or entirely use
NiMH (not LiON) batteries, and the batteries are absolutely terrible.
My experience is that no matter what you do, the batteries rarely last
more than a matter of less than 12 months. Further, it's quite possible
that there are NONE of these battery packs that are now less than 3
years old, even if they are "new" (e.g. unused but still 3 years since
being manufactured). The only suggestion that I might have for you is
to take one that seems bad anyway, open it up and rebuild it with new
cells. As far as I know, the batteries in the 1700 series are not
Lithium batteries, so you don't have the safety issues. And, also, I
think that they are not "smart" batteries, and unlike most lithium
batteries, do not have internal controllers in them (but I'm not sure of
that).

!