Sign in with
Your question

HELP my computer blew!!!

Last response: in Systems
October 28, 2010 3:26:06 PM

My computer had been acting a little odd, so I repaired XP using the reinstall/repair method. Everything was fine until I plugged in a video camera today and got a BSOD. When I tried to restart, the computer refused to boot. There was an electrical smell, and the fan on the video card was spinning faster than ever, so I removed the card. Still no luck. The led for the hd is on steadily, but I can't hear the hd spin, and the fans don't start right up, need a push. Has the motherboard fried?

Additonal note: there is also no signal to the monitor, either from the card when it was in, or the motherboard direct video out. I disconnected everything but the cpu and the monitor, and still no signal. Also the chipset and cpu don't seem to be getting warm, and I can't turn off except by unplugging (tho button does work for turn on). Okay, even tho no one here seems to have an opinion, I am pretty sure that all means motherboard so I'm off to order a new one.

Here's the system:
HD 500G|WD
CPU AMD|A64 X2 5000+
CASE ANTEC|NSK3480
MB GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H
MEM 2Gx2|GSK F2-6400CL5D-4

More about : computer blew

a c 104 B Homebuilt system
a c 1151 V Motherboard
October 28, 2010 4:52:07 PM

It can as well be the PSU.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 28, 2010 8:46:21 PM

+1 for the psu to be the candidate for your problems. Fans not spinning up obviously means no power (case fans) - have you tried swapping the connector they are attached to ? I presume they are connected to a molex ??

As for the no heat build up in the chipset and cpu - this would indicate that the PSU is not supplying enough power on the associated rail. Do you have access to a spare PSU ? this way you could test the mobo / cpu without having to actually buy anything additonal
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 147 V Motherboard
October 28, 2010 8:52:26 PM

This does sound like the PSU. What PSU did you have?
m
l
October 28, 2010 10:24:18 PM

I have a Corsair VX450W, couple of years old. The fans do spin if I give them a shove. But I can't even boot to bios, nothing happens at all. I have a backup computer, and guess I will pull the psu (which is the Antec 350 that came with the case), and try it. Ugh.
m
l
October 29, 2010 12:52:01 AM

OK, swapped the psu's and had exactly the same result.
m
l
a c 104 B Homebuilt system
a c 1151 V Motherboard
October 29, 2010 1:44:35 AM

jaz50y said:
OK, swapped the psu's and had exactly the same result.

Looks like you confirmed your suspicion to the motherboard then.
m
l
!