SSD or mSATA?

monki32

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Hey folks,
I'm building my first system and have decided to go for a gigabyte motherboard. The board has an mSATA slot and I want to know which would give a faster boot (will be using windows 7):

1. A 128Gb crucial mSATA Read 500MB/s, Write 175MB/s
2. A standard SSD (equivalent read and write speeds) connected via SATA III ( e.g SanDisk 128GB SSD, Read 490MB/s, Write 350MB/s)

I think I'll be going with these specs as far as the main components are concerned:

Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
Intel i5 3570K (stock cooler will be used)
Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced Windowed Midi Tower Case
Vengeance Blue 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz, (2x4Gb DIMMs)
(Good quality 500W PSU, model to be confirmed)
(off the shelf optical drive)
(neglecting a graphics card till I have more funds)

Cheers for any input

Solution
mSATA vs SATA is a spec for Physical size of device (SSD) and the size/pinout of the connectors.
Performance is govered by the Port, ie SATA II, or SATA III.
If Both mSata Port and SATA port are SATA III (and are controlled by the same controller) then If SSD is same manuf &Specs there would be NO diff in performance.

One thing to what out for is that the mSata port may be contolled by a 3rd party controller such as Marvel verses the Intel controller - If an SSD is on a 3rd party SATA III controller performance suffers compared to SATA III Intel controller.
mSATA vs SATA is a spec for Physical size of device (SSD) and the size/pinout of the connectors.
Performance is govered by the Port, ie SATA II, or SATA III.
If Both mSata Port and SATA port are SATA III (and are controlled by the same controller) then If SSD is same manuf &Specs there would be NO diff in performance.

One thing to what out for is that the mSata port may be contolled by a 3rd party controller such as Marvel verses the Intel controller - If an SSD is on a 3rd party SATA III controller performance suffers compared to SATA III Intel controller.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS