hthero715

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Just built a new computer recently and I am wondering what parts to upgrade/what should be added on next. As for a time frame, any add on will most likely come around the holiday (Dec-Jan). My current system specs are in my signature and this is what my thoughts were:

-GPU - Add another 470 for SLI
-RAM - add another 2x2gb of RAM (Should I opt for a different brand, such as G.skill?)
-Additional case cooling and OC the parts I have

Thanks.

Solution
well the only things that i can really say to do is definetly get better cooling

a better HSF (assuming your using your stock) I know the hyper 212+ is good but i heard its not the best for i7s because they run way way too hot....but definetly better cooling is needed first and foremost.

secondly more RAM is useless (unless you do a lot of programming/coding it wont help you at all for gaming....which is what i assume you are using this for)

3rd if you wanna get another 470GTX you will probably need to upgrade your PSU as i dont think 650w is enough

jasonp12

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
well the only things that i can really say to do is definetly get better cooling

a better HSF (assuming your using your stock) I know the hyper 212+ is good but i heard its not the best for i7s because they run way way too hot....but definetly better cooling is needed first and foremost.

secondly more RAM is useless (unless you do a lot of programming/coding it wont help you at all for gaming....which is what i assume you are using this for)

3rd if you wanna get another 470GTX you will probably need to upgrade your PSU as i dont think 650w is enough

Solution

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Check out www.slizone.com for recommendations on dual-470 capable PSUs. If yours is on the list, go for it, but I would be surprised if 650W will cover 2 470s.

If you want more gaming performance, the best upgrade is going to be another 470.

The cheapest upgrade is going to be overclocking, but your gains may not be all that noticeable.

The least useful upgrade would be more RAM. However, since you're running an x58 i7, you might consider adding another 2 GB stick, so that you're using the i7's triple-channel and getting the full potential out of it. Again, not likely to have much impact on gaming, but right now you're running single-channel mode.

jasonp12

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
yah but he would need not just 1 more stick but a full triple channel kit which can help but not much

but yah ur PSU is SLI ready doesnt mean its 470 SLI ready (doesnt have enough wattage)

SLI ready just means that it CAN support sli (i.e. has enough adaptors to power multiple cards)

vindictive

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

correct. I dont think the psu can handle it.

hthero715 basically has the build I'm going to do in December! except mine is dual gtx 460's and an thermaltake element g case.

But i'd suggest either getting a better psu tada and getting another gtx 470.
if you can't afford that I'd upgrade cooling, and overclock. I'll be getting a Hyper 212 when I build mine.

hthero715

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010

Cheers! I will probably upgrade the cooling for now as there are some great threads over in the "Fans and Heatsinks" section of the forum and over clock using high-end air cooling.

Will definitely upgrade the PSU second and I'm eyeing a modular-based PSU this time around to avoid wiring induced headaches.

As for the air cooling, what does everyone recommend? Leaning towards the Scythe Mugen but am unsure as to what other fans I should get. Low noise is preferred.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

There's no need for a triple-channel kit. As long as the single stick that he gets matches specs (ideally is the same brand/model) with the current kit, it will work fine.

And yes, I mentioned that it's the least useful upgrade, but it's a better idea than adding another 4 GB.

vindictive

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

The psu I listed in my post is modular :D click on "tada" up above.