Problems with Asus Sabertooth 990FX Motherboard

word2yamutha

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Ok so I ordered this motherboard to eventually upgrade to the bulldozer cpu but with my current cpu and ram it is having issues. Ever since I got this board I have been unable to post or if I got passed that I would be in windows for about 5min and it would get the BSOD. The current setup I have is a phenom ii x4 980 and g. skill 2x4gb 1600mhz memory which it says is compatible with that motherboard. When I had that ram in mobo would light up where the ram was at so I thought it was a ram issue.

So today I tried a new cpu which is a phenom ii x6 1080 cpu and the same g skill ram and the weird part is the red light goes away on the ram and is now on the cpu. Im totally lost and would love to use my computer again but I feel stuck. I feel like its either the ram or the mobo that is causing the problems but Im not sure which one.

This is my current setup

Silverstone PSU 1200 watts
Motherboard Sabertooth 990fx
CF x2 HIS 6870
G. SKills 2x4gb 1600mhz
SSD 120gb hdd
2 tb 7200rpm HDD

beenthere

Distinguished
You can run Memtest86+ from a floppy, CD or flash drive if it will boot, to check the RAM. You can also go into the BIOS and set the RAM voltage and timing just in case the auto detect is mis-reading the RAM SPD. The default RAM speed for your AMD CPU is 1333 Mhz. You can also try booting with just one DIMM if all else fails.