Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5 2500k / i7 2600k - future proof

Last response: in CPUs
January 22, 2011 7:02:03 PM

Almost all set to build new system based on ASUS p8p67 pro. I am a professional photographer. Large image files, (large for me is 800mb - 1.2 gb), a lot of large format printing for clients. Photoshop and Lightroom. Will be getting into some video now with the great video capabilities of modern 35mm digital cameras.

Was set on i5 2500k. Now not so sure. Going to make a purchase decision in the next few hours. Bundle deal at MC is $360 for the p8p67 pro / i5 2500k and $460 for the p8p67 pro / i7 2600k.

Waiting for the gtx 560 before I make a decision on GPU.

Benchmarks in Photoshop and Lightroom show no real advantage in the i7 2600k vs. the i5 2500k. Don't know if this equality holds up if one is multi-tasking other operations while, say, batch processing in Lightroom. Don't know enough about the video to know the advantages of one over the other.

Should I go ahead and put the extra $100 into the i7 2600k, or put that money towards GPU?

Right now there doesn't seem to be a huge advantage of the i7 2600k over the i5 2500k. Wonder if the i7 2600k might show a more distinct advantage a couple of years from now, so maybe it is more future proof?

Thanks

Best solution

January 22, 2011 7:06:31 PM

It might. I went with the 2600k just to be sure. I don't think you can go wrong either way.
My thinking was the basic difference between the two is hyperthreading. If my E8400 had hyperthreading...would I be uprading now or later? The answer is later.
a c 850 à CPUs
January 22, 2011 7:07:20 PM

I think they will age the same. In a couple of years you would probably wish for a hexacore or more.
m
l
Related resources
January 22, 2011 7:12:38 PM

rolli59 said:
I think they will age the same. In a couple of years you would probably wish for a hexacore or more.

But in a situation where a hexacore would be preferable to an I5, hyperthreading will become useful. Then you could wait for that 8 or 12 core.
I ahve a feeling that even if a hexacore processor comes to the 1155 platform, todays 1155's wont support it or the speed and/or cos will make the upgrade not worth it.
m
l
January 22, 2011 7:25:51 PM

I just don't know enough about advantages / disadvantages. Seems the i7 2600k has the advantage in video processing, but because it's something I intend to do, but haven't actually done (video), I don't know if the advantage is significant or not.

I update / rebuild about every 3-4 years, and I would like this to last at least that long. I'm leaning towards just throwing in the extra $100 and going with the 2600k.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2011 7:32:57 PM

When was anything futureproof?
m
l
January 22, 2011 7:33:08 PM

roscolo said:
I just don't know enough about advantages / disadvantages. Seems the i7 2600k has the advantage in video processing, but because it's something I intend to do, but haven't actually done (video), I don't know if the advantage is significant or not.

I update / rebuild about every 3-4 years, and I would like this to last at least that long. I'm leaning towards just throwing in the extra $100 and going with the 2600k.

Since you're upgrading the whole package, ie the mobo, RAM, processor, and possibly cooler/heatsink, youre talking a much smaller percentage than if you were simply talking CPU price which is 50% more for the 2600K
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2011 12:38:35 PM

Quote:
Nothing is futureproof anymore

I heard 1.5KW PSU and 3TB HDD were quite future proof. :lol:  jk.
m
l
a c 850 à CPUs
January 23, 2011 12:57:39 PM

warmon6 said:
I heard 1.5KW PSU and 3TB HDD were quite future proof. :lol:  jk.

They will come out with new standards! they are not stopping with SATA 6GB and they will come up with different connectors for PSU's, adapters again.
m
l
a c 471 à CPUs
January 23, 2011 1:35:38 PM

You'll be future proofed until next year.

:)  :)  :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2011 1:55:45 PM

rolli59 said:
They will come out with new standards! they are not stopping with SATA 6GB and they will come up with different connectors for PSU's, adapters again.

I know. im just messing around.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
January 23, 2011 11:46:19 PM

roscolo said:
Should I go ahead and put the extra $100 into the i7 2600k, or put that money towards GPU?

GPU
Or maybe ram, for your uses that is.

roscolo said:
Right now there doesn't seem to be a huge advantage of the i7 2600k over the i5 2500k. Wonder if the i7 2600k might show a more distinct advantage a couple of years from now, so maybe it is more future proof?

No such thing as "future proof". It falls under the same category as cake. It's a lie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK4ip08auGg

Also, might I ask: If you are using a CPU today, would you rather have spent $100 more for a pentium 4 3.3GHz with hyperthreading 5 years ago or would you rather have that extra $100 now and have a pentium 4 3.2GHz without hyperthreading today?

Buy what you need now and nothing more is my advice.
m
l
January 24, 2011 7:27:08 AM

enzo matrix said:
GPU
Or maybe ram, for your uses that is.

No such thing as "future proof". It falls under the same category as cake. It's a lie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK4ip08auGg

Also, might I ask: If you are using a CPU today, would you rather have spent $100 more for a pentium 4 3.3GHz with hyperthreading 5 years ago or would you rather have that extra $100 now and have a pentium 4 3.2GHz without hyperthreading today?

Buy what you need now and nothing more is my advice.

"Future proof" - my mistake in using that term, as clearly everyone has a different idea what that might mean. For me and what I meant was that for me as a pro photog, which processor will function adequately for me for the longest time. My current system was great a few years ago using earlier versions of Photoshop and much smaller image files. Now, larger files and larger batches and more recent incarnations of Photoshop / Lightroom (and my idea of what is acceptably "fast") make my system not so good. And I have problems with XP 32bit, and PS and not enough RAM. So, while I could stick with my old system and get more RAM and upgrade to Win 7 64 and get by, if I'm going to go to do those things I would rather just keep my old system as is for my wife and spend a few more dollars and build new for me.

So, in my limited knowledge, what I've read is the i7 2600k is better for imaging and video because of the limited programs that take advantage of hyperthreading. Photoshop, Lightroom, and Premier are among them, and those are what I use most. By "future proof" I'm not referring to can I play the latest games, but will later versions of Photoshop, Lightroom, etc., or other programs, make even more use of hyperthreading. No one knows. But now I think the i7 2600k is better choice for me. A few have said a Xeon WS would be better, but I've done well in this business with systems I've built each time for around $800 - $1,000 each time, about every 3 1/2 years.

As annoying as the gent in that youtube video is, I made it through the whole thing. He said, "don't cheap out." It's only $100. Doesn't make sense to get the i5 with no hyperthreading. Better to spend the extra $100 on the i7 2600k and have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. If the difference was $500 or $1,000 I wouldn't think so. If that 100 bucks pays for another gilded chandelier at Intel, well, at least I did my part to keep the lights on. No matter what comes down the pike, I think I will have what I need, a system that does what I need acceptably for another 3, maybe 4 years.

Now the only reason I'm holding off is the problems I see on the ASUS forums people are having with the p8p67 boards. Went through similar hell with the p5w dh deluxe, although once I got it sorted it has been a champ. I just don't want another guinea pig experience.
m
l
January 24, 2011 7:38:49 AM

Best answer selected by roscolo.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
January 24, 2011 6:19:22 PM

roscolo said:
It's only $100.

I guess for you that's your answer then. Personally, I find $100 expensive but we all have different views on value.
m
l
January 25, 2011 6:16:21 PM

enzo matrix said:
I guess for you that's your answer then. Personally, I find $100 expensive but we all have different views on value.

Hey, it was your boy's youtube advice video that got me to see that spending that $100 is the best value!
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
January 27, 2011 1:11:07 PM

roscolo said:
Hey, it was your boy's youtube advice video that got me to see that spending that $100 is the best value!

lol
m
l
!