Sign in with
Your question

First time upgrading - Need help with heat sink and paste

Last response: in Systems
October 28, 2010 4:20:13 PM

Hi Tom's,

I'm going to be upgrading my older tower in two weeks. This will be my first time doing this myself, and I'm a bit intimidated by heat sink and thermal paste. From what I can see, even seasoned computer builders have trouble with some of these parts, as the instructions for them are supposedly worthless. For a newbie like me, that sounds like a death-sentence.

These are the parts I will be getting:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

I've put in my own GPU and PSU before, so I'm not worried about that. Mainly it's just the heat sink and the compound...possibly setting the processor in too, but from what I read it shouldn't be too complicated.

Now, I have been on the AS5 website, and found the instructions here: "http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/int/vl/intel_ap...". However, it mentioned that it could be different depending on the heat sink. Can someone confirm that these instructions are good for me?

And as for the heat sink itself, the reviews I read on NewEgg mention the instructions are just crap. So is there any tutorials or other instructions anyone can recommend to me? Or if anyone has used the same product before, can you walk me through it?

I really appreciate everyone's help. This forum has already helped me with several issues, and I'm hoping to get my first project tower up and running by April. In the mean time, I'm just going to focus on upgrading this tower first. Thanks everyone!
October 28, 2010 4:47:05 PM

Those instructions should work for you. Follow the link in the AS5 instructions for the exposed heat pipe heatsinks because that is what style heatsink you are getting. Applying it is easier and less intimidating than you think. Hope that helps.
m
l
October 28, 2010 5:02:13 PM

adaman2576 said:
Those instructions should work for you. Follow the link in the AS5 instructions for the exposed heat pipe heatsinks because that is what style heatsink you are getting. Applying it is easier and less intimidating than you think. Hope that helps.

Alright, thanks. I have that part down then.

Can anyone contribute for the heat sink itself?
m
l
Related resources
October 28, 2010 5:16:14 PM

a thin layer, put some on and lightly scrap off with a card like a credit card.
m
l
October 28, 2010 5:21:11 PM

Atotalnoob said:
a thin layer, put some on and lightly scrap off with a card like a credit card.

I meant the heat sink assembly, I will be following the manufacturer's directions for the thermal paste. The heat sink manufacturer's assembly instructions are apparently terrible.
m
l
October 28, 2010 5:29:50 PM

Rannison said:
I meant the heat sink assembly, I will be following the manufacturer's directions for the thermal paste. The heat sink manufacturer's assembly instructions are apparently terrible.

Check the manufacturer's website for updated instructions. It should tell you what brackets and backplate to use for that cpu socket.
m
l
October 28, 2010 5:50:32 PM

davcon said:
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id...
Click video for installation.

Thanks! I totally missed that.

Alright, I guess I got everything I need to know down. I'll give an update when I've gotten everything installed without any problems. In the mean time, I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks everyone!
m
l
!