Need help upgrading my motherboard with the right things

Dirr T

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
I have a pretty nice pc that was really good for the buck over a few years back. At this link you will see the motherboard I have and would like to upgrade it.

Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127015

CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115005

my friends did all the work and overclocking.

I believe I have either a 500 or 600 watt power supply too

I built a computer with my friends a long time ago but now I actually want to learn about the insides of the computer. I know a little already, but atm I would like to know if it says standard ram supported DDR2, then I can only use that for the system memory? correct? and can I go lower with the 65 nm technology if i wanted to upgrade the CPU? I know I'm a noob, but I was wondering what I can do to this motherboard. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I do know how to install heatsinks as I have taken xbox 360s apart and have applied thermal paste and repaired old xboxes that had problems. would I use the same arctic silver 5 paste to upgrade the CPU on my motherboard? Thanks again for reading this and I'm truely going to start getting into building computers and I need to start somewhere so any help would be much appreciated. thanks

David 617

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
if the mobo only supports ddr2 then yah, it cant take ddr3. but if the speed is ddr2-600 you can put in faster ddr2 memory, it will just run at 600mhz speed. (same holds true if you want to put in lower speed.)

the cpu depends on the socket that ur mobo has. ex 775, 1366, 1156 ect.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_socket
u can replace a cpu with another of the same socket. (provided that u can deal with the power and heat.)

if you want to upgrade, give a budget and what you use the pc for

Dirr T

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
I have an LGA 775 mobo, and I thought I cant go under 65 nm or can I have a 45 nm processor for the mobo I have? I want to be able to have a fast computer and play WoW and stream my gameplay of an xbox 360 game, live, online. I will be upgrading my capture card to the black magic intensity pro so I can stream HD. I want to learn how to overclock the CPU as well. So I guess I will be getting DDR2 for my mobo. I already have 2 gb of turbo RAM in there. I was wondering if I can use ANY DDR2 that I wanted to purchase? I think my mobo only supports up to 4 gb of RAM to, but im not sure.

David 617

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
my bad. the highest is E7300
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=Core+2+Duo+E7300&hl=en&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS441US441&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1920&bih=979&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4099501681948678514&sa=X&ei=OsR8TsrRDMXOrQfjy6H3Dw&ved=0CGIQ8wIwAA - you can buy here

it might be time to think about getting a new machine. you are going to put $200+ into this so it will last another year. you can buy an i5 rig for ~600 and it would wipe the floor with your current build and last you 4-5 years, costing you ~130 a year.

Dirr T

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Yeah, as I have said, I would like to get to know the insides of the computer to the fullest, and what better way to do that than build one myself. I think I am going to go with you suggestion and build an i5 rig. The thing is, I don't even know how to choose a mobo for the chasis I have, and what mobo I would get for an i5 rig. I just got a job and will have some money to spend, so any help with choosing the right things would be really helpful. dont they have an i7? thats better than i5?

Dirr T

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
maybe I should get a new chasis as well so I can continue to play around with the pc I already have. I just need to know which casing and chasis to get. Basically, I would choose the CPU I wanted, then I would get a nice mobo with the proper socket for it? Thats how I would choose? Then I would get the right casing to fit the mobo?

With the currently available CPUs an affordable configuration with great performance would be an Intel Core i7-2600K CPU with an Intel Z68 Express Chipset motherboard.

What are your graphics card requirements? Any plans for two graphics cards in SLI mode or CrossFireX mode?

Do you have any legacy PCI expansion cards that you are planning to re-use on this motherboard?

Dirr T

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
What is legacy PCI expansion cards? and I'm thinking of getting just one graphics card. I can play a lot of good games with just one good graphics card right? and also can all mobos fit into and pc casing?

What is legacy PCI expansion cards?
Some upgraders want to reuse their PCI Audio cards because they don't like the audio quality of the motherboard's onboard audio chip. A PCI audio card would be considered a legacy PCI expansion card.

and I'm thinking of getting just one graphics card. I can play a lot of good games with just one good graphics card right?
It depends on the game and the display resolution and AA and AF settings that you play at.

and also can all mobos fit into and pc casing?
If your case is made specifically for Micro-ATX form factor motherboards then you cannot fit a full size ATX motherboard into that case only Micro-ATX form factor motherboards.

If you have a full size ATX case you can fit full-size ATX and Micro-ATX motherboards in that case.

Dirr T

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Thanks for all the info, you are really a big help. I would also like to know how to determine what kind of power supply I need to get. I have a 5 to 6 hundred watt power supply already in my other pc. That probably wont be enough for an i5 mobo and a good cpu and gpu?

Good choice.

For a system running with a single Radeon HD 6950 graphics card a 500 Watt or greater power supply with a +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and with at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors is recommended.

Meeting the minimum +12 Volt continuous current rating requirement is much more important than meeting the recommended power supply wattage. If the power supply can't meet the minimum +12 Volt continuous current rating the system won't start or you will get random shutdowns. The power supply should also have very good voltage regulation and ripple suppression.

The power supply info should be on the label that is affixed to the power supply unit.