• Power Supplies
  • Silverstone
  • Cases
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
a b ) Power supply
January 22, 2011 8:39:52 PM

I see that there is alot of cold cathode kits on newegg. but i dont want one that reacts to sound looking for red i have the silverstone rv01 case its huge so prolly a 12-15 inch one. never bought any of these before.

More about : red leds cold cathode case

a b ) Power supply
January 23, 2011 8:13:21 AM

I prefer cold cathodes over LEDs as they give a more even light in the case. Some people prefer LEDs though as they are normally brighter and they can be directed better.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
January 23, 2011 9:00:41 AM

cia24 said:
I see that there is alot of cold cathode kits on newegg. but i dont want one that reacts to sound looking for red i have the silverstone rv01 case its huge so prolly a 12-15 inch one. never bought any of these before.

Hi Cia
I have quite a bit of experience here. It will depend on a lot on mounting here, but I have used cold cathodes for years main pbs are as follows:
1) Wiring nightmare-between the power inverters and the wires going everywhere, that's a lot of crap to hide.
2) Some tubes are "better" than others. Its typical to have one tube that is nice and bright and 1 that lags behind.
3) Short life span. Some burn out in 6 months or less.
4) Heat. they produce some heat, but always take some time to warm up before full brightness is achieved.

I recommend checking out a sunlight stick:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I used a UV one recently and it puts out about twice as much light as two 12in cold cathodes/
1) no heat
2) instant on
3) same price
4) no inverters! only one power cable
5) longer life supposedly

I love the sunlight sticks and will be buying more. One thing, they do not shine 360 degrees. more like 180, but you should probably consider them as directional. This makes them great for roof lighting and such, but not for all applications. highly recommended.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 23, 2011 2:09:56 PM

Best answer selected by cia24.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 23, 2011 6:09:49 PM

AMW1011 said:
The only truly red one that I've ever seen was this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Not sure whats different between the Meteor and the one buzznut posted, but there you go.

Yeah it is very red but it doesn't stay on it always cycles. i hate flashing lights
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 23, 2011 6:22:07 PM

cia24 said:
Yeah it is very red but it doesn't stay on it always cycles. i hate flashing lights

Huh. My sunlight stick always stays on..
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 23, 2011 6:22:57 PM

buzznut said:
Huh. My sunlight stick always stays on..

talking about meteor not the one u linked
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 23, 2011 6:36:00 PM

cia24 said:

I'm almost positive you can stop them from cycling. I forget how. Perhaps you need to include, or exclude some plug?
m
l
March 2, 2012 12:24:35 AM

Don't know where your getting your cathode tubes, but I've had mine running since 2007 and they still work fine, a 12" UV and a 3" Blue in my case. Always on 24/7 never had an issue, sure as hell never had heat coming off them, or time to warm up.
Sorry don't know the brand or anything, didn't keep the package after 5 years but they give great light and work without trouble.
m
l
October 3, 2014 1:45:52 AM

bobbyvilla said:
Don't know where your getting your cathode tubes, but I've had mine running since 2007 and they still work fine, a 12" UV and a 3" Blue in my case. Always on 24/7 never had an issue, sure as hell never had heat coming off them, or time to warm up.
Sorry don't know the brand or anything, didn't keep the package after 5 years but they give great light and work without trouble.

maybe he's using CFL instead of CCFL?(very old thread but I came to look smthing up hehe)
m
l
!