Solved

GA-EP45-UD3R Upgrade Questions

Tags:
  • Gigabyte
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
September 23, 2011 4:57:53 AM

Currently I plan on upgrading my current system because I cannot afford a new one at the moment and to be honest, my current system works just fine for 90% of the things I use it for and I wanted to do a lot of research first to avoid potential issues down the road. Anyways onto the question.

My current system specs are:

Motherboard: GA-EP45-UD3R
Processor: E8400 3.0 GHz
Ram: 4x dual channel Kingston 800 MHz 1GB, cant remember the exact model.
Video: EVGA 9800 GTX+
Power: Corsair 650 watt

I planned on upgrading my memory, os, and video card.

For the OS I planned on getting Windows 7 64bit Home Premium because, well vista is just flat awful and I cannot believe I put up with it for as long as I did.

For the memory I planned on getting:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... x2 For 8GB of ram, however not sure if that would be overkill or not with today's applications.

However on the manufacturer website http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=... under the memory support list the memory that I planned on buying was not listed. Would I be fine? Or should I just get some memory that is already listed on the manufacturer's site? Or does anyone else have a better suggestion?

For the video card I planned on getting http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... How much of a performance boost would I get over my current 9800 GTX+? Or does anyone else have a better suggestion?

Any tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks!

More about : ep45 ud3r upgrade questions

Best solution

September 23, 2011 5:36:13 AM

Welcome.
2pts

1 the gpu is great. it will wipe away ur current card. amd is a great budget card. on my home pc i have a 5770 and its still plays the latest games at mid-high settings. ur psu should b enough.

2 8 gb of ram is overkill. 4 is plenty for the average person. i have 8 in my laptop. rarly do i cross over 4. (once i was pushing 6, i had chrome open w/20+ tabs, ffox w/10+ tabs, MS Visual Studio, and Win Xp + Ubuntu running in VMware on top of my win7 ultimate host. Heck yah, that was awesome. if you can match that, go with 8gb, else go with 4.)
September 23, 2011 6:27:08 AM

Well I do a lot of multitasking, as in, having 3-4 MS words/excel open, steam, various games, chrome with several tabs etc etc.

Would the ram I listed have any issues with my current motherboard? That's my biggest question to be honest. Everything else I feel pretty comfortable with my selection. Obviously unless someone else has a better suggestion that is :p 

Edit: Thanks for the welcome btw
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 23, 2011 6:36:03 AM

NP :)  we were all new once.

the ram will work. it has a speed of 800mhz and ur mobo supports 1600/1333/1066/800 MHz FSB (FSB = Ram speed)

good luck, and have fun
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 3, 2011 6:58:26 PM

I would try these - CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5. You can get them HERE @ Newegg for $52 each 4 GB set and they show up on corsairs memory configurator which means they are GUARANTEED to work with your board. No muss No fuss. And they're about the same price.
m
l
October 3, 2011 8:53:33 PM

Sorry that I didn't update my post, but I already ordered the hardware and installed it. No issues with the hardware yet. I installed Win7, had a few issues with installation with Win7. I had to use a different DVD drive. For some reason Win7 wouldn't install with my main DVD drive but it worked on my DVD burner. I think it had to do something with the read speed of the DVD drive.

Thanks for the help everyone.
m
l
October 3, 2011 8:54:20 PM

Best answer selected by slovic.
m
l