Disk boot failure on all tested HDDs and more issues

anna_02

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
So I've got a problem with my computer and I ran out of ideas how to solve it. It's an old machine with config: Intel Pentium 4 530, Gigabyte GA-81915P, Radeon x300, 2x Kingmax ddr1 512 MB 400 Mhz, 160 GB Seagate on SATA (don't know the exact model) and Enermax 350W. Some months ago it started to freeze randomly and after hard reset it would show "Disk boot failure. Insert system disk and press enter". I assumed it was a hdd failure and replaced it with quite new Seagate 500 GB, but with no luck, I couldn't even install the OS, because of the same error. After some resets it stopped running at all and I noticed that the southbridge on the mobo was way too hot. It was an old config, so I decided it's not worth repairing and investing, but recently I got msi 7091 mainboard and Intel Pentium 4 550 for free, so I replaced the old mainboard and processor. And now: The computer starts and passes the POST most of the time, but rarely it shows the same disk failure message, and when I enter the BIOS, the drive is not listed (it happens on both Seagate drives). When I try to install Windows XP, it goes through loading all components and drivers, then a black screen shows and it hangs. And when I try to install Windows 7, just to check, it shows BSOD with error code 0x0000007E right after "Windows is loading files" screen. I also tried to boot GPatred, but it shows numerous "sense key: medium error" messages then hangs. I replaced the SATA cable with new one, loaded optimized defaults in BIOS, checked the RAM with memtest, 8 hours each one, even measured the voltages on PSU and I still didn't find the solution.

popatim

Titan
It looks to me like someone replaced the board because it was giving them problems too. Check the capacitors on the bd and see if the tops are bulging a bit or if brownis/yellowish goo is in on them or at their base. You can visit badcaps.net for example pics of bad capacitors.

anna_02

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

They all seem ok for me. But you're probably right, it's another faulty motherboard. I was just hoping that I'm missing something trival and easy to repair, but it seems that this old config is not worth my time and money. Anyway, thanks for the response.