Hello,

My first computer build.
Specs
Antec 300 case
Gigabyte GA p55A-UD3 MB
Antec EA650 power supply
HIS H467QR1GH Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 Video Card
8 GB G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Put together and booted fine first time. Been installing drivers and other software but no real use yet. Had it on ~10 times for at least 1 hr. for one session over the past week.

Just checked temp of cpu from Bios and it started at ~70C and went up to 90C as I was watching (idle)!!!. I used the stock cooling fan and the stock thermal compound attached to Heat Sink. I just double checked heat sink and it was firm on the cpu- could not wiggle it. I used the 8 prong power line (EPS12V v2.91 according to Antec) to power the cpu on the mother board (label 12V 2 x 4 ATX according to Gigabyte).

Should I have used the 4 prong 12V ATX connector. Could the BIOS CPU temp sensor be that off?

Any other suggestions. Will I fry the cpu if I continue to use?

Thanks for your help in advanced!

Marc
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about temp bios
  1. Yes it could be a faulty mobo reading i would reset/default my bios and see if things change.
    Also running another app like Coretemp or Realtemp could give you piece of mind.
  2. No if the motherboard and CPU requires the EPS plug than you use it (though the old 4-pin P4 would work as well). Even basic thermal compound shouldn't allow the CPU to go that high in temps, have you tried re-applying it?
  3. Thanks, I downloaded Realtemp and it was stating around 46 C idle. Ran a Prime9 stress test and the values immediately started climbing up to 90C before I killed the test.

Did I connect the wrong power supply connection to the mother board?

I haven't physically checked to see if cpu fan is working but Bios is registering a rpm for cpu fan?

Any thought on what to do next.

Thanks,
    Marc
  4. Best answer
    If it was the wrong power connector (PCI-e 8-pin for example) there would be smoke pouring out of your system so you should be fine. Are you OC'ing the CPU? Try flashing a new BIOS into the the mobo.
  5. The thermal compound was in strips attached to the heat sink. I have a tube of artic silver that is probably 5 years old. I guess I should remove the heat sink, clean the heat sink and cpu surface with isopropanol and apply the artic silver and try again?

Thanks,
    Marc
  6. Go ahead, the artic silver should still be fine unless it dried up.
  7. No Overclocking
    Updated the Bios file with the same version (most recent).
    Idle temp around 50 C started prime 95 test and jumped up to 90+ in a few seconds before I killed the test.

I will try the artic silver but am wondering if I should just purchase a new heatsink/fan before I do so?
  8. Unless you OC the stock one should be just fine.
  9. mister g's suggestion is sound.
    Reapplication of paste and heatsink is a good start to resolving your issue.
  10. Thanks for your advice

Is 91% Isopropanol high enough concentration for cleaning off old thermal paste?

Worst case scenario applying new thermal paste does not work. What to check next?
  11. Yeah the alcohol should be fine. If the new paste doesn't work I would begin looking for a new BIOS for the mobo and other programs to looks at the temps to see if it's really that high. GPUs can go that high but not CPUs.
  12. Should I remove the cpu from the MB before cleaning off the old thermal paste or can I clean it while it is in the socket?
  13. There's no need to remove your cpu just clean it with the alcohol and perhaps a coffee filter.
    Don't apply too much paste a pea sized blob should do and the heatsink should apply adequate pressure to spread the paste.
    Good luck!
  14. Thanks everyone for your help!

I cleaned the heck out of the stock heatsink with Goof Off followed by 91% isopropyl

The cpu cleaned up easily with the Goof off followed by 91% isopropyl (using coffee filters)

Followed the Artic silver 5 instructions about tinting the heat sink. Added a thin stripe according to instructions for i3 cpus.

When reattaching the heatsink I realized I had turned the plastic screws the first time I installed it instead of just pushing them down.

Ran two stress tests using Real Temp and Prime 95.

at 100% cpu highest temp was 57 C. Idle temp around 27 - 30 C.

Problem solved!!!
  15. CoastsideCyclist said:
    Thanks everyone for your help!

I cleaned the heck out of the stock heatsink with Goof Off followed by 91% isopropyl

The cpu cleaned up easily with the Goof off followed by 91% isopropyl (using coffee filters)

Followed the Artic silver 5 instructions about tinting the heat sink. Added a thin stripe according to instructions for i3 cpus.

When reattaching the heatsink I realized I had turned the plastic screws the first time I installed it instead of just pushing them down.

Ran two stress tests using Real Temp and Prime 95.

at 100% cpu highest temp was 57 C. Idle temp around 27 - 30 C.

Problem solved!!!

Good stuff! and a very common mistake regarding the pushpins.
  16. Followup questions, does anyone have any suggestions for burn in programs or programs to test if I did any damage to the cpu when it heated up over 70C?
  17. Best answer selected by CoastsideCyclist.
  18. I can't think of any except for standard stress tests.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Antec