Should I upgrade my 9800gtx+ SLI for a gtx 460 gtx 470 or gtx 460 SLI?

bwiltse2620

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
I currently have the system noted in my sig. I play a fair number of games, the most recent of which is Mafia II. I always game at 1920 x 1200 and I try to enable Physx whenever possible. I have two 1920 x 1200 monitors and game on the main sli display and leave monitoring software running on the other one. Yes, I know that I could get better performance by disabling the second monitor, but I like to make sure all my temps and fans and system utilization are within spec.

With that in mind, would it be worthwhile to upgrade my current 9800gtx+ sli setup to something like a gtx 460, gtx 470, or even gtx 460s in SLI? I also fold on my graphics cards when I'm not gaming, if that affects anyone's opinion. Thanks in advance!

Solution
I recently upgraded from a BFG 9800gtx+ 1gb to an EVGA GTX 460 1GB Superclock. It's a great upgrade, but I can't imagine doing that from your sli setup. It's hard to tell exactly, but I think I got more than 50 percent more performance in games (especially BFBC2) and so I'm happy. I play on a 24 in monitor. However, my old card was still a decent card and anything less than a 460 would have been a waste of time.

I recommend you go SLI 460's. Check back and let us know, plus maybe some benchmarks- I like to compare Far Cry 2 DX10 on mine.

PS

You signature doesn't show in your posting, only in your profile- you can change it under "forum options"

nativeson8803

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I recently upgraded from a BFG 9800gtx+ 1gb to an EVGA GTX 460 1GB Superclock. It's a great upgrade, but I can't imagine doing that from your sli setup. It's hard to tell exactly, but I think I got more than 50 percent more performance in games (especially BFBC2) and so I'm happy. I play on a 24 in monitor. However, my old card was still a decent card and anything less than a 460 would have been a waste of time.

I recommend you go SLI 460's. Check back and let us know, plus maybe some benchmarks- I like to compare Far Cry 2 DX10 on mine.

PS

You signature doesn't show in your posting, only in your profile- you can change it under "forum options"

Solution