P5KPL-AM RAM stick issue

dorivard

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Hi,

Here is my issue, I wanted to upgrade the RAM on one of my computer. One is running a P5KPL-AM motherboard with Dual core intel CPU and a
external graphic card. It is running fine with 2 sticks of 2G ram. This computer is my second computer and I use it only to browse and download.
My main computer was having 4 gigs RAM each stick is 1G. So I bought 2 more 2Gigs RAM sticks and I put in my main computers, so now this
computer has 4 x 2Gigs RAM sticks. Meaning that I has still having the 4 x 1 Gig RAM stick. I decided to move the 4 x 1G on my ASUS P5KPL-AM
computer so it would still gets 4Gigs RAM. But it doesn't work I don't even get to the motherboard. So I decided to troubleshout,

1- booting with only two sticks of 1Gig in the same colored slut it is working, so lets say I put the two stick in the black slot and I boot it is working.
2- If I use the two yellow slut it is working two.
3- It is when the four sticks are in place that it doesn't work anymore (I'm not even reching the BIOS boot screen.)
4- Tested each stick in the two by two and they all work

What would be the issue of having 4 sticks of 1 Gig installed on my P5KPL-AM?

Thank you!

Solution
didn't realize the P5KPL-AM has 4 memory slot. I think you got an old revision. Asus has removed the 2 additional slot maybe due to compatibility issue. Just installed the 2x4GB into old system and use the 2x1GB plus 2x2GB total 6GB in the main system.

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
didn't realize the P5KPL-AM has 4 memory slot. I think you got an old revision. Asus has removed the 2 additional slot maybe due to compatibility issue. Just installed the 2x4GB into old system and use the 2x1GB plus 2x2GB total 6GB in the main system.

Solution

dorivard

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011

I finally had time to test your solution but removing one stick and leaving three only didn't worked.
I also tried to see if there was a BIOS update I could do, but nothing there too.

Thanks.