USB Flash Drive(Memory Stick) Problem

wytrin

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
I've had this memory stick a few years and use it occasionally to back up business files. It has not been physically damaged and I've never had a problem. Now, no matter what machine I plug it into, 2 desktops, my laptop, I get the "device not recognized" message with a code 43 designation. The boys at Staples checked it on their "sophisticated software" and feel it's probably just a shot piece of hardware. I don't know how they come to that conclusion. They claim I could send it out to a company and for about $250 they might be able to retrieve the data. I don't think so....... Any ideas?

samwalker

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
This might sounds stupid, but I have had similar issues with flash drives. If you haven't already try it in another USB port. This has occasionally fixed things for me.
Another option is open the device manager, type 'devmgmt.msc' into run and press enter. Either try and uninstall the driver, and re insert the flash drive or update the driver.

popatim

Titan
Its a good thing its only holding backup data and you still have the originals.
Flashdrives die all the time and I always tell my customers to buy 2 and make 2 backups.
As for trying to recover data, if the free recovery software cant see it then its not worth investing much time on a $5-10 piece. Toss it and buy a new one with a 5 egg rating. Back around Christmas staples had some name brand 16Gers for $5. I bought a bunch of them.

wytrin

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

Thanks Sam, tried it in different machines, no go. The drive letter doesn't even show up as any of the pc's simply do not recognize it's existence. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the drivers. Again, no go. Thanks anyway.

wytrin

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

Thanks pop. It really is a joke that we have to buy multiple backups in case of backup failure! A big guessing game. I do have files save in multiple places and I haven't limited it to usb drives, that's for sure. I have no problem tossing the thing except that I would really like to know which business files I have on there. I labelled all my usb's, dvd's, etc. except that one!!