Wireless Desktop Card Wattage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PandaBearz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
I've looked on the internet for almost an hour now, with no luck. I have a "Belkin Wireless A/G Desktop Network Card", but I'm building my new computer this week and didn't want to get a new wireless card so I figured I'd use this one.. however, I'm a big fanatic about conserving electricity so I went with the most low power, strong system I could find.. I ended up going with:

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.3GHz (one power guzzler)
HD Radeon 5870
Asus Gigabyte (dunno model)
1TB Low Power HDD
DVD/Blu-Ray
6GB DDR3 @ 1600 Corsair

Anyways, I calculated the power management and it came to roughly 400W-440W max.. so I bought a 460W power supply. I'm almost positive that a wireless card doesn't take more than 10W of power (and that's giving it a ton of room!) But, from personal experience, how much does it take? Please help; desktop full size card, not minicard.

EDIT: I've seen a few different brand high-end desktop network card made in 2009-2010 that took 4.3-5W of power.. but this card was made back in 2005-2006 but I'd still imagine that there's no way it could go over 10W? So, should I be safe with 10W of power to spare; or is it dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.