Help! Canons500 or Sony P150? I gotta stop this. It's just..

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 11, 2005 2:49:27 AM

I'm sick of the research. Two weeks after I buy anything I will
realize I bought the wrong camera (even though NASA used it on the
MOON). I think I need professional help. This is as tough as choosing
a significant other.

I'm looking for small. Something smart enough to keep me from taking
dumb pictures. Smart enough to make the picture look great even though
the kids are directly between the camera and the sun.

I give up. Where is my grandpa's Brownie. At least I had about three
weeks to find out how bad I screwed up and by then, hey I didn't take
the picture!

This is way to hard.

Canon A95 (won't fit in my shirt pocket)
Canon S500 (so small it probably is missing something)
Now there's The Sony P150 (895 Mega Pixals ...?)

There has to be a name for this ......disease? That's right I have a
disease. It's not my fault that I can't make up my mind. Could it be
this newsgroup. NO You guys are way to helpful. It must be me.

Thanks for listening.

PS. What should I buy?
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 1:20:54 PM

"Eddie" <wendy.kiss@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:p 2p6u0d21r9qkmonedm3b4sot4d1oiu6eg@4ax.com...
> I'm sick of the research. Two weeks after I buy anything I will
> realize I bought the wrong camera (even though NASA used it on the
> MOON). I think I need professional help. This is as tough as choosing
> a significant other.
>
> I'm looking for small. Something smart enough to keep me from taking
> dumb pictures. Smart enough to make the picture look great even though
> the kids are directly between the camera and the sun.
>
> I give up. Where is my grandpa's Brownie. At least I had about three
> weeks to find out how bad I screwed up and by then, hey I didn't take
> the picture!
>
> This is way to hard.
>
> Canon A95 (won't fit in my shirt pocket)
> Canon S500 (so small it probably is missing something)
> Now there's The Sony P150 (895 Mega Pixals ...?)
>
> There has to be a name for this ......disease? That's right I have a
> disease. It's not my fault that I can't make up my mind. Could it be
> this newsgroup. NO You guys are way to helpful. It must be me.
>
> Thanks for listening.
>
> PS. What should I buy?

Phew! And I thought I was the only one with this problem! While you know you
just have to make up your mind and buy something and start making
photographs you just kéép on reading reviews and keep on peeping pixels.
What should be a waste of time is actually great fun, at least for me, I now
know much more than a few years back, without actually having a good camera
(well, unless you call an old 3Mp camera good). Good luck deciding what to
buy, and yes, you will always have made a big mistake afterwards. Just buy
something nice and stóp comparing!

P-P.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 6:16:18 PM

The Sony produces better images than the Canon, but requires a slightly more
expensive memory card (Sony's Memory Stick). I wouldn't let that stop me.
It's a very nice cam, much better than the other two. But, as you said, as
soon as you buy one...

Sony has published specs on the P200. Yes, really.

Now stand back while your head explodes.

"Eddie" <wendy.kiss@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:p 2p6u0d21r9qkmonedm3b4sot4d1oiu6eg@4ax.com...
> I'm sick of the research. Two weeks after I buy anything I will
> realize I bought the wrong camera (even though NASA used it on the
> MOON). I think I need professional help. This is as tough as choosing
> a significant other.
>
> I'm looking for small. Something smart enough to keep me from taking
> dumb pictures. Smart enough to make the picture look great even though
> the kids are directly between the camera and the sun.
>
> I give up. Where is my grandpa's Brownie. At least I had about three
> weeks to find out how bad I screwed up and by then, hey I didn't take
> the picture!
>
> This is way to hard.
>
> Canon A95 (won't fit in my shirt pocket)
> Canon S500 (so small it probably is missing something)
> Now there's The Sony P150 (895 Mega Pixals ...?)
>
> There has to be a name for this ......disease? That's right I have a
> disease. It's not my fault that I can't make up my mind. Could it be
> this newsgroup. NO You guys are way to helpful. It must be me.
>
> Thanks for listening.
>
> PS. What should I buy?
January 12, 2005 1:31:54 AM

Eddie wrote:
>> I'm looking for small. Something smart enough to keep me from taking
>> dumb pictures. Smart enough to make the picture look great even
>> though the kids are directly between the camera and the sun.
>>
>> Canon A95 (won't fit in my shirt pocket)
>> Canon S500 (so small it probably is missing something)
>> Now there's The Sony P150 (895 Mega Pixals ...?)
>>
>> PS. What should I buy?

I finally decided upon the P150. After looking at many options including
ones with ultra-zooms I made my decision. I decided what I really want is a
camera that is in my pocket when the photo opportunity presents itself. The
other contender was the Canon S70 but was persuaded against it due to the
slide lens cover and power switch.

I still ponder if the wider lens and RAW format of the S70 will be missed.
The Sony is a nice camera with enough features to make it interesting. It
fits nicely in my pocket and takes some beautiful photos. And yes... it was
"outdated" a few days after I bought it! P200:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0501/05010602sony_p200.asp

Consider this... if you enjoy your digital camera and actually use it, you
will surely buy another. Buy the one you think you will get the most use of
and don't sweat the small stuff.

Kevin
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 1:41:00 AM

To me it sounds like the most important thing for you is to find a place
with a good return policy so you can try them all until you are satisfied.
January 12, 2005 2:26:04 AM

My Doctor said it would be okay to thank everyone who responded to my
cry for help. Thank You. He said that I should be okay after a few
months of intense therapy ................a p200! What the he...
What's it got? 2800.1 megapixals and 30x zoom? Oh My God! I gotta
have a P200. I was just kidding about all those other cameras. I need
to look into this one.
!