Sign in with
Your question

DVD writer can read data but unable to burn

Last response: in Components
January 23, 2011 1:59:24 AM

Hello and thank you. I just bought a LightScribe 24x DVD+/-R drive. It is SATA Scsi. It is an ATAPI DVD a DH24AAL ZP5A 200. It can read data but it will not write data. It will not play a DVD. I think I am going over my head on getting it to woke. I am using Windows XP Peffional on this system. I have also looked on the web. No one seems to know.
January 23, 2011 2:19:13 AM

Scsi drives need a controller do they not? and a seperate id # otherwise it will conflict with other devices.

If you have an external SCSI drive , there are a couple of points worth noting. All SCSI devices have to have a unique ID number.
On each device there will either be a set of jumpers or a number panel, use this to choose an number that is not in use.

To check which number are in use , you can either get this from the devices section within control panels or , just reboot the pc and you will see the SCSI card authenticate each device it’s connected to.

Once you’ve chosen the ID, power off your computer and connect the device.

Always make sure the computer is switched off before adding or removing SCSI devices. Also make sure that if nothing else is connected to the drive a SCSI terminator or termination on the drive is set to enabled.

This tells the SCSI chain of devices that the CD / DVD drive is the last device in the chain. If it’s not terminated and it is the last device the whole computer will just hang until the connection times out which can be a few minutes.

Once connected the system will automatically pickup your CD / DVD drive and you should be ok to begin using.

m
l
January 24, 2011 12:58:19 AM

Thank you Davcon for taking the trouble and time to write.

The PC came with the connections on the mother board.
There were no special connecting instructions; only how to connect the cables. (Connect the SATA power cable and the SATA data cable to your drive). That was all it said.
Nero 8 was also supplied.

I bought it to backup my FLV and AVI files and make video disk of thase files. So if I can not get this to work; I will at least be able to make a lazer pointer out of it.

I am not even sure that the device is SCSI or SATA.

Again; Thank you for answaring my question.

Below is the info. I got:

Drive F:
Description CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded No
Media Type CD-ROM
Name ATAPI DVD A DH24AAL SCSI CdRom Device
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status OK
Transfer Rate Not Available
SCSI Target ID 2
PNP Device ID SCSI\CDROM&VEN_ATAPI&PROD_DVD_A__DH24AAL&REV_ZP5A\4&2157F0EA&0&020
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108), 61.50 KB (62,976 bytes), 7/22/2007 6:31 AM)
m
l
Related resources
January 27, 2011 10:52:28 PM

james100-100 said:
Hello and thank you. I just bought a LightScribe 24x DVD+/-R drive. It is SATA Scsi. It is an ATAPI DVD a DH24AAL ZP5A 200. It can read data but it will not write data. It will not play a DVD. I think I am going over my head on getting it to woke. I am using Windows XP Peffional on this system. I have also looked on the web. No one seems to know.

I found about my problem. I went in the BIOS and under Advance I found something with SATA ???????? and it said RAID Mode. I figured hay, that don't work so I don't have nothing to lose. I nessed around and found NATIVE Mode.
So, that is what I changed it to and saved and exited. The PC re-booted and when Windows came up. Down on the bottem right side windows little pop-up said it had found a new device and is ready for use. Too scared to try to see if it work this late at night.But tomarrow morning I will.
m
l
January 28, 2011 3:45:55 AM

james100-100 said:
I found about my problem. I went in the BIOS and under Advance I found something with SATA ???????? and it said RAID Mode. I figured hay, that don't work so I don't have nothing to lose. I nessed around and found NATIVE Mode.
So, that is what I changed it to and saved and exited. The PC re-booted and when Windows came up. Down on the bottem right side windows little pop-up said it had found a new device and is ready for use. Too scared to try to see if it work this late at night.But tomarrow morning I will.

Lol! well i found the question a little odd since i haven't seen or used a scsi device for 10+ years.Wasn't a Scsi device after all.
Glad to hear you've resolved the issue.
Cheers!
:) 
m
l
March 30, 2011 3:19:06 AM

Davcom and Tubesandwires,

You all have been a lot of help and spent time helping me and thank you for the help. I finally baught and IDE DVD burner and everything is good and I can make my DVD videos. But what I wanted to share is that I looked in the BIOS after I installed the IDE DVD burner (SH - S22A model) and it said:

PIO 4
ASYNC DMA Multiword is DMA 2
Ulti DMA is 2
LBA is supported

Just maybe this will help some one else. As for the SATA burner; well I now get to make that laser flash light.

Again, a big Texas thank you from me in Texas.
James
m
l
!