Fresh Install & ssd question

plaudium

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
I was unsure as to what category to ask this under but here's my question.

I currently have a 64 gb ssd and a 500 gb hdd and am having problems with my hdd due to the fact that I accidentally dropped it while cleaning out my pc. I am going to be upgrading and doing a fresh install to a new 256gb Samsung 840 which will be all I will have for the time being in my pc. My question is will doing a fresh install and basically starting over conflict with the drivers and such on my GPU or motherboard. I am assuming that it won't but i though I would ask.

My next question is if there is a way I could clear my old 64gb boot ssd once I have my new 256gb installed so I could then use my old 64gb ssd as a secondary storage device. I am just not sure if there is a complicated process that goes with clearing an os from an ssd or it if it simple.

Thanks!

Solution
Doing a fresh Windows install on to your new Samsung SSD cannot cause any driver conflicts since there will be no existing drivers present to conflict with (the drivers are installed on the hard drive, not on the motherboard).

When you've got a fresh Windows up and running, shut down, switch off the PSU, then connect your 64GB SSD.

Start up Windows again, go into Disk Management, right-click the 64GB SSD and choose "Format". All the data will be wiped off it and you can use it to store new data on.

To get into Disk Management, click Start > Run.
Type diskmgmt.msc
Press <Enter>.
Doing a fresh Windows install on to your new Samsung SSD cannot cause any driver conflicts since there will be no existing drivers present to conflict with (the drivers are installed on the hard drive, not on the motherboard).

When you've got a fresh Windows up and running, shut down, switch off the PSU, then connect your 64GB SSD.

Start up Windows again, go into Disk Management, right-click the 64GB SSD and choose "Format". All the data will be wiped off it and you can use it to store new data on.

To get into Disk Management, click Start > Run.
Type diskmgmt.msc
Press <Enter>.

Solution