Sign in with
Your question

Help with ram? - Urgent

Last response: in Memory
September 23, 2011 5:16:56 PM

Hello

I work in a research laboratory and our computer that is attached to our microscope died. We determined that it was the ram by swapping out some from another computer.

The computer is a http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/detai...

My question is what ram do i need to order (4gb). Preferably from www.newegg.ca

The old ram was Pc2700 DDr 333mhz, but it seems cheaper to buy PC3200 400mbz? will both work?

Thank you very much

Mark

More about : ram urgent

Related resources
a b } Memory
September 23, 2011 6:11:52 PM

It's NOT good to mix RAM even of the same part number. Two kits might work or might not. There is no means to know other than trying it. That's why I always recommend buying ONE matched, tested, RAM Kit.
m
l
a b } Memory
September 23, 2011 7:52:27 PM

I think you guys should look into a new computer, that thing is a dinasaur and parts are likely to start failing.
m
l
a b } Memory
September 23, 2011 7:54:10 PM

Yes, those kits should work without a problem. Although what the person above me said can be true the technology used in the type of memory you are looking for is a lot less sensitive than new high speed RAM and I highly doubt you will have any problems.

Back before I knew what I was doing I mixed brands, sizes and all sorts of things with that kind of memory and it never had a problem.
m
l
September 23, 2011 7:58:15 PM

I'd recommend using only 2 memory slots. The older machines did not liked all mem banks occupied for some reason.
Also DDR3200 should work as 2700 but you will have to downgrade it in the bios if possible
otherwise get 2700.
m
l
!