System temperatures too high, how do I lower them?

caanilorac

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
My desktop computer is homebuilt (not by me). I recently changed the sempron processor it had to a Phenom II X4 955 to be able to run some architectural design programs better. My biggest concern was that the 400w power supply wasn't going to be enough, but I was told that it was fine since i don't have a GPU or dvd drive. But the temperatures seem to be very high (while surfing the net and doing light work the motherboard temps are around 45, one of them almost always over 50, HDDs at about 45, core at 42-45 too). But when I render a scene in archicad using the lightworks engine the temps get extremely high, one of them (temp1) almost always over 60, CPU at 55-58 (its maximum is 62 according to AMD).
I don't have any case fans, I would like to buy some if they solve the problem but I'm concerned that the power supply might not be enough. How many fans would I need if it was possible? Is 1 in the top rear slot enough?
Right now I have the case open and a fan pointing to it, and still one of the motherboard temperatures is at 50ºC. By the way my motherboard is a Gigabyte M61PME-S2P, and I have a SATA and an IDE hard disc drive and no cd/dvd drive.
I would really appreciate your help.

mortonww

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
When you replaced the sempron processor, did you replace it with a boxed Phenom II x4 or OEM? If OEM, did you clean the bottom of the heatsink that was used for the sempron and then reapply thermal compound? If not, you may not be making good thermal contact between heatsink and processor.

If you got a boxed processor with compound already applied to an included heatsink, then maybe more case fans would help cool your motherboard and processor temps. What case are you using?

caanilorac

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Yes I got a boxed processor, it already had thermal compound on it. I did use compressed air to clean the interior of the case, didn't seem to help much (or maybe I did it wrong?).
I don't know what case I am using, some generic brand I think.
I'm going to try to add 2 more fans, thanks for the help.
By the way do you know if the psu is going to be fine if I add a dvd writer? For some reason everyone recommends psus with a much higher wattage everywhere I read.

notsonoobPCguy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Your PSU should be fine just as long as its a OK brand like Corsair, Thermaltake, SeaSonic.....there are a couple more. Even if it isn't you should be fine but i would take precautions. Also do you have a graphics card? Or a integrated chip on your mobo?