Solved

Compatibility question: SSD work with Motherboard?

So, after a year or so of crashes and VERY slow HDD performance, I have scraped together some money for a new SSD. I was looking at getting the 256 GB OCZ Vector SSD and just wanted to ask a simple question to make sure I am good to go...

My motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
Will the Vector work with my motherboard. I am assuming yes seeing as my motherboard has two SATA III ports.
Also, another question: What is the best way to use my old HDD for mass storage [Photos, Videos, Applications I rarely use] and my SSD for booting the OS as well as my main applications and games?
Thanks in advance!
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about compatibility question work motherboard
  1. Best answer
    sixzoseven said:
    Will the Vector work with my motherboard. I am assuming yes seeing as my motherboard has two SATA III ports.

Yes, it will work. SATA drives are backwards compatible so a SATA 3 (6Gb/s) drive will work on a SATA 2 (3Gb/s) port.
    Connect your Vector to one of the 6Gb/s ports in AHCI mode for best performance.

Quote:
    Also, another question: What is the best way to use my old HDD for mass storage [Photos, Videos, Applications I rarely use] and my SSD for booting the OS as well as my main applications and games?

Correct.
  2. Dereck47 has nailed the problem spot on.
    sixzoseven, you should select his reply as the best answer to close this thread up.
    Cheers
  3. Majestic One said:
    Dereck47 has nailed the problem spot on.
    sixzoseven, you should select his reply as the best answer to close this thread up.
    Cheers

Odd, thought I did earlier today. Must of hit the wrong button on my phone or something. Anyways, thanks for the reply Dereck47. Also, thanks for the reminder. xD
  4. Best answer selected by sixzoseven.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Hard Drives Motherboards Storage