Sign in with
Your question

AM3/AM3+ motherboard questions

Last response: in Motherboards
September 23, 2011 8:07:01 PM

Hello guys i have this board

ASUS M4A87TD/USB3...i've had it a while now.

i am wondering will this be compatible with the new 8 core chips...i see a lot of the same boards that were out at the same time now have am3/am3+ to there title meanwhile my board still doesn't

it says 870 in the title of my board...this confuses me because when i look it up there are ranges from 700-900 series FX...

so i'm asking you experts for my answer if you could help :D  is my board able to fit the bulldozers or any new chips? i know it can fit a x6 phenom and x4 but i'm wondering specifically about the bulldozer

looking forward to your replies
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 121 V Motherboard
September 23, 2011 8:36:49 PM

Unfortunately you have am AM3 board which will not support Bulldozer. Although the sockets are physically the same size AM3+ are compatible with older AM3 chips, but not the other way around.
September 23, 2011 9:11:43 PM

itzdanielp said:
Unfortunately you have am AM3 board which will not support Bulldozer. Although the sockets are physically the same size AM3+ are compatible with older AM3 chips, but not the other way around.

thank you for the quick reply... shame but oh well..i'm very happy with my current pc it can handle anything easily. it was able to play BF3 alpha and so on with ease so i reckon i have some time before i would have to upgrade...

could you recommend any that are by asus (hopefully the exact same sort of board) but with am3+ compatibility...i've grown used to using that asus board and would prefer that.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 121 V Motherboard
September 23, 2011 9:19:53 PM

Pretty much any board that has AM3+ Socket and 9xx chipset.
September 24, 2011 7:34:59 AM

Think Im right in saying that u can tell by the colour of the socket surroundings on the mobo (not the socket itself), if its black, then its AM3+ if its white, then its not ;) 
September 24, 2011 7:40:01 AM

For some STUIPID reason, I cant edit my own post, I was WRONG, the SOCKET itself will be black if AM3+ ;) 
!