Looking for good Graphics Card / Monitor combo

If I want to get the same image quality from my windows PC as I do with my mac do I need to purchase a special graphics card and monitor?

For that matter what hardware products should I be looking at that give the same or better quality image.

I'm currently looking to upgrade my dell PC into a good gaming machine. I love the quality of the 27" apple montiors so I want to replicate that on my PC.

I'm basically looking to buy a new power supply, graphics card and monitor. I think the rest is powerful enough for now.

Any thoughts?
16 answers Last reply
More about looking good graphics card monitor combo
  1. fisrt thought would be to post your current dell's system specs to make sure we're not advising you parts that would be bottlenecked by your existing components.

second thought is most dells use a nonstandard form factor for thier powersupplies so you have to either get a dell powersupply or live with the psu being only held in by one or two points caause it doesn't line up right. you could drill new holes fairly easily if you wanna keep the current case but you'll wannt remove all the compnents first and make sure to blow it out real good so there are no metal shavings in the case
  2. Oh, we need the model # of the Apple as well
  3. for the moment lets ignore my current machine. I do understand fully that it might no be compatiable with my current setup. I'd be willing to do a bit of rejigging though e.g. drill a few holes etc.

My main issue was getting a graphics card and monitor combo that work really well together e.g. exact horizontal and vertical refresh rates, clear sharp easy to see text and crystal clear video and gaming experience.

So i'm willing to go high end on montior and mid to high on graphics card.

For example is there a monitor out ther for the PC I can buy that is better than this new one from apple?
    http://www.apple.com/displays/

Games I'd play on it Starcraft 2, COD 4

But I also watch a lot of videos and do some work on this machine so its go to be an all rounder.
  4. anything a bit nicer in the monitor around?

for example those new apple ones are 2560-by-1440 resolution, 27" LED backlighting ...

Just looking around the web, it seems like apple are well ahead of the game. I don't think any other manufacture are selling this hight a quality 27"

Can anyone prove me wrong, if not what is the closest thing? Samsung?
  5. For true image quality, you need an IPS panel monitor. Expensive, but gives you a something really good.

Look up Dell U2410. Its a great monitor and costs a whopping $600!
  6. yea there are better displays they just get really pricey dell is a good place to start as said above ^
  7. I'm looking for image quality and style. Its such a shame no company other than apple knows how to design there hardware beautifully. will check out that one.
  8. For the moment lets remove price out of the equation. Is there a better 27" monitor any price on the market than the new apple 27" led cinema display at any crazy price.
  9. Agh. I found a flaw in the apple one

Response time (typical): 12 ms

That would be no good for games right?

what do people think of this from dell
    http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/dell-ultrasharp-u2711/4505-3174_7-33913833.html

seems to have 6ms response time.. is that fast enough for some of the modern games?
  10. throwing price completely out the window...

hp2710m for round 500

NEC in the middle around $2k

NEC MultiSync LCD3090WQXI-BK 30"

or completely out the park at almost 8k

the planar dome E4c 30 inch

note low ms is nice but really under 20ms would be almsot imossible to tell. but the dell you linked is pretty damn nice (cost smore than my current car to >_<)
  11. Ya. Other than Apple, only NEC, Dell (only a few models) and HP make IPS and VA panel monitors. Rest all are still happy building TN panels (#$%$#@#)!!! :fou:

Dell also has a cheaper version of the IPS panels which they call e-IPS.
    If you want quality in the image, IPS is the only way!
  12. The biggest problem with the Apple 27-incher is the hyper glossy surface and the lack of ports.

The Dell U2711 is great, in fact it uses the same panel as the apple. But its matte,and has much more connectivity options. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039648BO?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&tag=pchahe-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0039648BO
  13. Timop said:
    The biggest problem with the Apple 27-incher is the hyper glossy surface and the lack of ports.

The Dell U2711 is great, in fact it uses the same panel as the apple. But its matte,and has much more connectivity options. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039648BO?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&tag=pchahe-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0039648BO

Yea at the moment that dell seems to be the winner. Quick question, why is hyper glassy finish a bad thing?
  14. dereko said:
    Yea at the moment that dell seems to be the winner. Quick question, why is hyper glassy finish a bad thing?

Glossy isn't bad, I actually prefer it over matte.
    But After trying 27incher at the apple store, the glare is HORRIBLE. Especially since it so big, you really have to control your lighting to see a clear image.
  15. damn good monitor choice with that dell hope you get it i know i'll be jealous ;)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Monitors Graphics