MB-Asus P6T Deluxe
CPU-I7-920 Stock 2.67
Mem-Corsair Dominator 6 gigs Triple channel
HD-#1 WD Black Label 750 GB, #2 WD Green Label 1 TB
DVD-LG dvd rewritable
PSU-Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W Modular
Case-HAF-932
Monitor-Samsung 2493 HM

I have run my GTX-295 for about 2 1/2 yrs and wanted to go to the newer tech. and cooler smaller sli config. So about 3 weeks ago I purchased 2 GTX-460 1 gig OC EVGA from Newegg. I installed them and I already had the newest drivers from nvidia (258.96) I booted and it found them and all was well, I ran heaven bench several times flawlessly at 1920x1200 and was getting about 61.5 avg FPS. I play MW2 and even though there isn't any difference in the performance on that game between the GTX-295 and the sli'ed 460 it ran flawlessly also. Until last night. I had been watching Top Gear episodes on my system and tired of that so I went to play MW2 and on the startup screen I noticed like little squares of off color in with the smoke and then it kind of flickered and then the screen went black, but the music still played....had to do a reset to get out of that. Then after reboot I tried to run heaven bench and it started then crashed with an error, can't recall the error but something about something missing??? So I went to nvidia system monitor and everything looked fine there...gpu were running about 26C and reporting everything fine. I reinstalled the drivers and tried again...same thing. I took the 460's out and put my 295 back in and it works fine MW2, heavens bench....everything. Now my question. When I put the 460's in....My PSU doesn't have enough 6 pin PCI adapter for this setup so I used on of the adaptors that came with the card to get one more 6 pin. Could that be the culprit??? Breaking down and undervolting the card?? Or could it perhaps be the SLI bridge?? Didn't think of that till after I put the 295 back in. I know I am probably forgetting something simple, but It happens as they say," I can't see the forest for the trees"

OH and after I reinstalled the drivers and that didn't help I did a system restore to last week just to make sure windows didn't install an update that screwed me....THAT has happened before!!! LOL

Solution
Test each of your 460 separately to rule out the chance of there being a lemon. Your 295 uses more or less power than your 460 during average load so it should be a power issue. The only thing comes to mind that might be bad is either the VRM or the VRAM on one of the cards since most are not cooled at all on the 460.
Test each of your 460 separately to rule out the chance of there being a lemon. Your 295 uses more or less power than your 460 during average load so it should be a power issue. The only thing comes to mind that might be bad is either the VRM or the VRAM on one of the cards since most are not cooled at all on the 460.

Solution

Jack64

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Ok, I'll do that. I'll Be Back Later to let ya'll know the results.....thanks

Jack64

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Ok, Well, each worked by themselves perfectly. Heavens bench ran smoothly on each one....so that cuts it down to the sli bridge OR the connector I had to run off of the accesory rail instead of the PCI rail....funny it would run fine for a week and a half and then start to break down...but things like that happen.

OK test the slot and if it works then clean the sli fingers. Check the bridge if it old for rust and dirt. Also check the power cables for the same and the volts on the 12v rail never know they might be dipping. Beyond that I really can't help you and others it might be the same way. Try swapping the cards around who knows that might work. Clean out the drivers if that will help just try almost every trick in the bag.

Jack64

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Ok, Well, I re-installed both cards and everything seems to work fine...ran heavens bench and got the same 61.5 fps as before...was getting about 29-30 with just one 460 in it. So I don't know what it was but I made double sure ever connection was clean and seated good this time...thought I did before but maybe not good enough. Also rerouted some audio cable along the bottomg of the MB as they were reaaly close to the lower 460's fan and I suppose could have rubbed it and what not. Card never showed hat but who knows....by the time everything was done all seems to be working good. Thanks for your help....much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS