Radeon 9800 XT or Geforce GT????

Last response: in Video Games
July 29, 2004 9:50:56 PM

Which is best???

TIA..

More about : radeon 9800 geforce

Anonymous
July 29, 2004 9:50:57 PM

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:50:56 +0100, smeggedd wrote:

> Which is best???

It's not even close. The Nvidia.

Linux Registered User #327951
July 29, 2004 10:35:56 PM

> Which is best???
>
> TIA..

Doom 3 tests done by carmack and witnessed by both ATi and nVidia would
suggest the GT:

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQy

--
IWIK
Anonymous

"Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.org> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.07.29.20.16.30.711910@invalid.org...
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:50:56 +0100, smeggedd wrote:
>
> > Which is best???
>
> It's not even close. The Nvidia.
>
> --
> If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
> Linux Registered User #327951

Those Doom 3 benchmarks are very new, ATI need to be given chance to update
their opengl. Take a look at the benchmarks for HL2, and consider the ATI is
a heap of cash less.
We need a couple more driver revisions before we can put ATI into second
spot. It may also be worth waiting for newer mobos that support 2 PCIe
graphic card slots, they're out soon enough.
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 9:45:59 PM

"didgerman" <aw990012@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> We need a couple more driver revisions before we can put ATI into second
> spot.

no, he's comparing the 9800xt to the 6800gt. It doesn't matter what you do
to the drivers, it can't come close to the performance of the gt. Plus the
fact that the 6800gt is going for the same price as the 9800XT is, the gt is
the only one to consider. Even the standard 6800, which is $100 less than
the 9800xt beats it. Now if it was the x800pro or xt that was in question,
the story would be different. But we are talking old generation ati for
$400 or new generation nvidia for $400, no contest

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 17:45:58 +0000, didgerman wrote:

>> It's not even close. The Nvidia.

> Those Doom 3 benchmarks are very new,

As are the cards in question. What's your point?

> ATI need to be given chance to update their opengl.

Why do they "need to be given a chance"? Why haven't they kept up?

> We need a couple more driver revisions before we can put ATI into second
> spot.

I don't really even understand what you mean by this, but ATI is already
in second place, and will stay there. It's not a driver issue, it's
hardware.

Linux Registered User #327951
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 11:06:40 PM

Many thanks for all the comments..

As expected the GT looks much nicer for the same price.. Will grab a GT.

"smeggedd" <smeggedd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Which is best???
>
> TIA..

Anonymous
July 31, 2004 2:12:57 AM

"Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in message
> "didgerman" <aw990012@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > We need a couple more driver revisions before we can put ATI into second
> > spot.
>
> no, he's comparing the 9800xt to the 6800gt. It doesn't matter what you
do
> to the drivers, it can't come close to the performance of the gt. Plus
the
> fact that the 6800gt is going for the same price as the 9800XT is, the gt
is
> the only one to consider. Even the standard 6800, which is $100 less than
> the 9800xt beats it. Now if it was the x800pro or xt that was in
question,
> the story would be different. But we are talking old generation ati for
> $400 or new generation nvidia for $400, no contest
>
> --
>
> Margolis

http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
> http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

Mate, drivers are everything on a modern gpu, you might want to look that
up....
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 2:46:32 AM

> Mate, drivers are everything on a modern gpu, you might want to look that
> up....

apparently you cannot comprehend that we are talking old generation ati 9800
vs new generation 6800.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 2:47:57 AM

"Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.org> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.07.30.18.00.32.758040@invalid.org...
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 17:45:58 +0000, didgerman wrote:
>
> >> It's not even close. The Nvidia.
>
> > Those Doom 3 benchmarks are very new,
>
> As are the cards in question. What's your point?

Doom 3 final code is just out, it'll need time for either player to produce
the right driver.

> > ATI need to be given chance to update their opengl.
>
> Why do they "need to be given a chance"? Why haven't they kept up?

Because apart from Doom 3, openGL has been dead in the water, and i suspect
that ati quite rightly had Doom 3 in the 'vapourware' tray.

> > We need a couple more driver revisions before we can put ATI into second
> > spot.
>
> I don't really even understand what you mean by this, but ATI is already
> in second place, and will stay there. It's not a driver issue, it's
> hardware.

I'm not sure how anyoe who understands hardware can say this with such
finality.

Keep in mind chaps that ati have not made anything new for over 2 years now,
they've got something coming, and it isn't going to be grovelling along with
anything nvidia have made.
BTW, I'd be delighted to be wrong, I've owned both brands before, but ati
will have something really new to land nvidia on it's arse, no doubts there.
Nvidia may hit back, who knows.

> --
> If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
> Linux Registered User #327951

Anonymous
July 31, 2004 2:51:34 AM

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:01:25 -0500, "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org>
wrote:

>"smeggedd" <smeggedd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Which is best???
>>
>> TIA..
>>

>the 9800xt is not in the same league as the 6800gt.

Agreed. The correct comparison would be X800XT vs 6800GT. Maybe
that's what the OP meant to post?
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 11:24:56 AM

> Keep in mind chaps that ati have not made anything new for over 2 years
now,
> they've got something coming, and it isn't going to be grovelling along
with
> anything nvidia have made.
> BTW, I'd be delighted to be wrong,

you are wrong. ati's newest product came out a week AFTER the 6800 series,
it is not 2 years old. Apparently you just want to hide your head in the
sand and completely ignore what is going on in the video card industry right
now since nvidia has a great product out currently.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 2:21:12 PM

> "didgerman" <aw990012@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >

> > Mate, drivers are everything on a modern gpu, you might want to look
that
> > up....
> >

> apparently you cannot comprehend that we are talking old generation ati
9800
> vs new generation 6800.

How barbed! If you think these carda re a generation apart then you've got a
bit to learn I'm afraid.
For now, you can take a look here and see that ATI still rules for UT:
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040504/ati-x...

Note in the review how much difference the drivers made to the nvidia card
in an opengl game.
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 2:21:13 PM

> How barbed! If you think these carda re a generation apart then you've got
> bit to learn I'm afraid.
> For now, you can take a look here and see that ATI still rules for UT:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040504/ati-x...

> Note in the review how much difference the drivers made to the nvidia card
> in an opengl game.

You are judging ati's old generation better because a game that is pretty
much cpu limited isn't vastly better on the 6800? I guess the x800xt isn't
any better than the 9800series also then? Look at a game like farcry or
halo where the 6800gt is almost twice as fast as the 9800xt. Oh well, I
guess your right, even though the 9x00 cards have been out for 2 years, ati
is suddenly going to come out with drivers for them that will double
performance thus making them faster than both nvidia's AND ati's latest
product.

I can post links too. To the exact same review:
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040504/ati-x...

or this:
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040504/ati-x...

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040504/ati-x...

notice how the 6800 is offering twice the performance of the 9800xt? I
guess drivers will change that though.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 5:53:08 PM

> "didgerman" <aw990012@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >

> > Keep in mind chaps that ati have not made anything new for over 2 years
> now,
> > they've got something coming, and it isn't going to be grovelling along
> with
> > anything nvidia have made.
> > BTW, I'd be delighted to be wrong,
>

> you are wrong. ati's newest product came out a week AFTER the 6800
series,
> it is not 2 years old. Apparently you just want to hide your head in the
> sand and completely ignore what is going on in the video card industry
right
> now since nvidia has a great product out currently.

There's very little new about the current cards that wasn't in the 9700pro.
What ati have at the moment is a very fast version of something that is over
2 years old. When they release something new, it will take nvidia another
two years to catch up again.
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 8:24:58 PM

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 13:53:08 GMT, "didgerman" <aw990012@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>There's very little new about the current cards that wasn't in the 9700pro.
>What ati have at the moment is a very fast version of something that is over
>2 years old. When they release something new, it will take nvidia another
>two years to catch up again.

You have a crystal ball? What has gone before has nothing to do with
what will happen down the road.

I'm just glad we've got some decent competition. Most reviewers have
the current top-of-the-line cards from ATI and Nvidia on an even
footing, so you're hard-pressed to recommend one over the other. My
tendency is to lean toward Nvidia right now, since they have the best
OGL support, but that could change at any time, although I'm not
prescient enough to make predictions. ;-)
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 12:51:07 PM

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 22:47:57 +0000, didgerman wrote:

>>> Those Doom 3 benchmarks are very new,

>> As are the cards in question. What's your point?

> Doom 3 final code is just out, it'll need time for either player to produce
> the right driver.

Are you really this ignorant? You don't make a driver for a *GAME*, you
make it for the *HARDWARE*. Sheesh.

>>> ATI need to be given chance to update their opengl.

>> Why do they "need to be given a chance"? Why haven't they kept up?

> Because apart from Doom 3, openGL has been dead in the water, and i
> suspect that ati quite rightly had Doom 3 in the 'vapourware' tray.

Are you on drugs? You are wrong on both of these claims. Absolutely
wrong. OpenGL dead.... Ha! That's a good one!

> Keep in mind chaps that ati have not made anything new for over 2 years
> now, they've got something coming, and it isn't going to be grovelling
> along with anything nvidia have made.
> BTW, I'd be delighted to be wrong, I've owned both brands before, but
> ati will have something really new to land nvidia on it's arse, no
> doubts there. Nvidia may hit back, who knows.

All right, now I *know* you are just ignorant. Get a clue about the
current state of the industry before you post again.

Linux Registered User #327951
August 3, 2004 3:11:21 PM

didgerman enlightened us with:
> Doom 3 final code is just out, it'll need time for either player to
> produce the right driver.

They just use OpenGL, which hasn't changed in years. Why do they need
to create a new driver when just another game uses it?

> Because apart from Doom 3, openGL has been dead in the water, and i
> suspect that ati quite rightly had Doom 3 in the 'vapourware' tray.

Bwahahahahaha! Sorry, but you seem to be out of focus with reality.
Each and every 3D game in Linux uses OpenGL, and so do many Windows
titles. And remember that Linux is growing as a gaming platform.

> Keep in mind chaps that ati have not made anything new for over 2
> years now, they've got something coming, and it isn't going to be
> grovelling along with anything nvidia have made.

Then perhaps they'd like to create Linux drivers, like their rival
NVidia does.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
!