Toshiba Sat A10 - Blinking LED - Won't turn on

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
January 17, 2005 8:23:45 AM

Hi,

About 8 months ago my computer had an accident which resulted in its
first taste of beer. For about a week it wouldn't turn on and the power
LED just blinked orange at me. Just when I was about to give up on it a
miracle of sorts happened and it decided it wanted to work again under
certain conditions. Every so often when I would connect it to the mains
it would decide it wants to work and as long as I didn't take the power
source out it would continue to work perfectly fine. However it would
never work with the battery in.

This suited me fine. At least it was working. Later on I found a
technique of sorts to get it to work which would involve plugging the
adaptor in with the battery. Leave it for a half hour. Take out the
mains and the battery. Then plug the mains back in. Quite often this
would result in the laptop wanting to work.

Quite a stupid situation for a laptop to be in. Apparently they get
serious hangovers.

Currently I'm in a situation where the battery is on the other side of
the world (please, don't ask :)  ) and I'm trying to figure out what the
blinking light means in order to repair it and prevent the laptop
becoming part of natures unrecyclable junk.

The Toshiba is a Satellite A10 - S403D. Celeron 2Ghz, nice sized hard
drive and other stuff which I think has little relevance to the problem
at hand. The blinking Power LED is repetitive. It'll blink twice
quickly, once long, twice quickly, once long and twice quickly
(.._.._..), wait a while then repeat. Not quite morse for SOS but I
wouldn't question if it was.

I've opened it up and unplugged all the junk that was surrounding it
(keyboard, display, drives) so that the only thing left is the
motherboard itself. I've tried cleaning what seemed to be the affected
areas but it's still blinking at me when it's plugged in.

Does anyone know what the blinking means? Is it saying "There's a
problem here/there" or "My goose is cooked" ? I've tried calling the
helpdesk in France but now they've gone the way of helpdesks worldwide
all I can get is directions to my local Toshiba dealership where a free
diagnostic of the problem will cost 60€ (just to tell me what's wrong
with it and not actually fixing it). I think they have a different
meaning of the word "free" at Toshiba and it costs 50c/min to hear it.

That said it's a lovely little machine that I'd recommend to anyone.
I'd have given up on the case months ago if it wasn't for the fact that
after the trickery with the battery it can work perfectly fine (minus
the battery obviously) without any problems at all. The keyboard,
whilst at first having a little problem where a * would appear each
time I pressed Enter and being the part that bore the brunt of the
beer, is perfectly fine. The speakers for a couple of days sounded like
a sick bird but recovered splendidly. It's perfectly fine, except it
doesn't work.

Thank you in advance for any advice, suggestions or offers to put it up
in a retirement home for tired old drunk computers.

PS : Yes I know I'm an idiot for letting the beer get there in the
first place.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 17, 2005 11:12:19 AM

vodka_carambar@yahoo.com wrote:
> [...]
> different meaning of the word "free" at Toshiba and it costs 50c/min
> to hear it.
>
> That said it's a lovely little machine that I'd recommend to anyone.
> I'd have given up on the case months ago if it wasn't for the fact
> that after the trickery with the battery it can work perfectly fine
> (minus the battery obviously) without any problems at all. The
> keyboard, whilst at first having a little problem where a * would
> appear each time I pressed Enter and being the part that bore the
> brunt of the beer, is perfectly fine. The speakers for a couple of
> days sounded like a sick bird but recovered splendidly. It's
> perfectly fine, except it doesn't work.
>
> Thank you in advance for any advice, suggestions or offers to put it
> up in a retirement home for tired old drunk computers.
>
> PS : Yes I know I'm an idiot for letting the beer get there in the

Someone might come along with the exact error being reported by the LED
code, but until then, try the information at this site:
http://www.pcguide.com/ts/index.htm (this site has a frame on the left
margin that sometimes does not load. Refresh the page if you can't see
it.)