Sign in with
Your question

EVGA Z68 FTW or ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Asus
  • EVGA
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
September 23, 2011 9:39:53 PM

Howdy Folks. Looking to upgrade my factory Mobo to something a little more top of the line. I've narrowed it down to either the ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) or the EVGA Z68 FTW (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) both of which are of the Z68 variety, and it's going to go with my Intel 2600k. I plan on getting two GTX 580s in SLI, and using about 16GB RAM (Overkill, I know). Also are going to be overclocking just about everything. Wanted some experienced opinions on this. I also wouldn't be opposed to looking elsewhere for a mobo if neither of these two are worth the money. Thanks.

More about : evga z68 ftw asus maximus extreme

a c 121 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 23, 2011 9:44:51 PM

Both are excellent MB's, and your plan seems pretty solid. Just make sure your PSU can handle it ;) 

I personally like the Asus brand, but I also really like the EVGA brand. I would probably lean a little towards the EVGA, but for no particular reason. Both outstanding boards.
m
l
September 24, 2011 7:40:27 PM

Thanks. I might pick up the EVGA, I'll try to weigh them both when I get enough cash. I do like the gratiutous PCI-e slots, but I like the Asus Bios and USB 3.0.
m
l
Related resources
a c 121 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 26, 2011 2:28:13 PM

if USB 3.0 is the deciding factor you can always pick up a USB 3 PCIe card.
m
l
September 26, 2011 4:52:32 PM

Look, my recommendation would be to avoid the ASUS board, nothing but problems (and the warranty/afrer-sales is a mess.)

Garfunkel64 said:
Howdy Folks. Looking to upgrade my factory Mobo to something a little more top of the line. I've narrowed it down to either the ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) or the EVGA Z68 FTW (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) both of which are of the Z68 variety, and it's going to go with my Intel 2600k. I plan on getting two GTX 580s in SLI, and using about 16GB RAM (Overkill, I know). Also are going to be overclocking just about everything. Wanted some experienced opinions on this. I also wouldn't be opposed to looking elsewhere for a mobo if neither of these two are worth the money. Thanks.

m
l
a c 121 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 26, 2011 5:34:12 PM

pkhannah said:
Look, my recommendation would be to avoid the ASUS board, nothing but problems (and the warranty/afrer-sales is a mess.)

I highly disagree, I have been building computers for years and I started using Asus, and still use them to this day. Haven't really had any problems at all, and when I did the customer support was right on par. Asus is still one of the best.
m
l
September 26, 2011 5:41:17 PM

I'm sitting next to a dead laptop that was just returned after over 2 months in the repair center.

That being the third time in 6 months it's been in for repair -- each time ther ehas been some issue on it's return, from scratched lid, loose internal parts, broken case sections...

The entire process has been a complete mess from start to finish -- and the striking thing is the number of people who have come out of the woodwork while I'm mentioning this around who say they have had similar problems of delays in repairs, to outright refusal to repair under warranty. Some of these are likely to be user-fault, but not all of them.

Of note is that all of this is equipment bought recently -- perhaps they're top gear and service isn't what it used to be...

itzdanielp said:
I highly disagree, I have been building computers for years and I started using Asus, and still use them to this day. Haven't really had any problems at all, and when I did the customer support was right on par. Asus is still one of the best.

m
l
a c 121 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 26, 2011 6:15:51 PM

I have bought 3 MB's in the last month, every one of them has been exactly what I would expect.

Also.... A laptop is different from a Motherboard.... I doubt a MB would have a scratched lid or broken case if returned for warranty.

Also, MB's aren't repaired for warranty service, they are replaced unless physical damage is present.

If you want to vent about asus laptops, that's fine, but stick to the laptops section, not the motherboards section. Completely separate lines.
m
l
September 28, 2011 3:04:02 PM

I agree. I have heard a a lot of complaints about ASUS lately, and ASUS was never like that. My brothers PC is having weird issues with sound and hanging at start-up (ASUS mobo). I also have an ASUS Laptop that is less than 2 years old (G73). The RAM on it is shot, I pull it out and slap it back in and it starts up fine (quick to boot) but when restarted the same hardware issue occurs with slow boot time. I believe it's heat related but I can wait for it to load so I am not buying new SO-DIMM RAM.

pkhannah said:
I'm sitting next to a dead laptop that was just returned after over 2 months in the repair center.

That being the third time in 6 months it's been in for repair -- each time ther ehas been some issue on it's return, from scratched lid, loose internal parts, broken case sections...

The entire process has been a complete mess from start to finish -- and the striking thing is the number of people who have come out of the woodwork while I'm mentioning this around who say they have had similar problems of delays in repairs, to outright refusal to repair under warranty. Some of these are likely to be user-fault, but not all of them.

Of note is that all of this is equipment bought recently -- perhaps they're top gear and service isn't what it used to be...

m
l
October 1, 2011 4:46:18 AM

I guess it is the same as anything else, good stuff and cheap stuff I bought a P8Z68v and thought it was a bit cheap and nasty,
I replaced it with a Maximus IV Extreme-Z which is like a Rolls Royce by comparison. Maybe closer to an F1 car. The finish, and all the extra's that you don't have to buy.
The cold boot bug is a pain but the board is fantastic and the support is exceptional.
Don't mistake consumer level products for quality, generally you pay for what you get.

m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 1, 2011 11:55:11 AM

Garfunkel64 said:

Both of those boards are hose jobs imo. That EVGA board is $300 yet it doesn't even have a NF200 bridge, and the Asus board is a whopping $335 yet it isn't set up for the new generation vid cards due out in December that will be supported by Ivy Bridge. If your going to spend that kind of money on a board, and at least get one that's worth that kind of dough.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $274.99 Free Shipping
ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Extre... <----- A better look at that board

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/PCIe3/ <----- PCI-E 3.0

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4272/asrock_z68_extrem... <----- Review of that board with benchmarks

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z68a-gd80-p8z68-del... <----- Review of that board done last week here on Toms. It earned Tom’s Hardware Best Enthusiast-Class Award
m
l
October 1, 2011 12:26:03 PM

Absolutely true,
except $35 bucks difference is for crap, costs way more than that here, about the sli, 3 x gtx580's on the ASUS Z model at if you have the money (my guess for about $100 each after the new ones come out in December is worth the $35).
m
l
October 4, 2011 9:50:44 PM

I just put together this exact combo and it's working very well. Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z with 2 EVGA FTW Hydro Copper 2 cards, 16GB DDR3 2133Mhz RipJaws, i2600k, yada yada ... very solid hardware with an excellent reputation and unbeatable warranty. Overclocked to an easy 4.5Ghz with my custom water-cooled solution. I'm sure I could go higher but I'm not a bencher so who cares.

Keep in mind that these are sensitive electronic parts. It's easy to screw something up and I think that's why you see people complaining. Even when you've been building PCs for a long time you can make a mistake. Also no company is perfect. You will hear the complaints but rarely the good things. Spend the money for a really good power supply, that is where a lot of folks go wrong. My system draws about 800 Watts from the wall during gaming with everything overclocked so I suggest at least 1000 Watts.

I plan to add another GTX 580 at some point down the road. That's primarily why I went with the Maximus board. You probably won't need all those features - God knows I certainly don't, but I'd rather have and not need than the other way around. You're also paying for the best power circuitry in the business and that's super important for stability at high overclocks.

I've always had good luck with ASUS and EVGA. Both are solid companies but I trust ASUS over any other mainboard based on the hundred or so builds I've done over the years.

Hope this helps. Good luck! :hello: 
m
l
October 5, 2011 3:33:14 AM

All that being said, the thing that made the biggest performance increase by far was going to a dedicated SSD for OS, Windoze 7 seems to handle the Trim ok, No swap file with 16Gb, the only way to trigger the Low mem warning is with a stress tester (BIT in my case).

With a little bit of mucking about you can set all of the windows libraries and default installs to a network drive or USB (making it B: drive is a neat trick), if you do this from the start you can install your games, drivers, etc to the SSD.

I use an a cheap USB3 case and turn it off when I'm gaming (also has password files, Docs etc, if you've never been hacked during a game {So I'm Old}).

Best boards were Tyan for me, only make server boards now I think.

Last but MOST important Buy an UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply), a refurbished one with new batteries is fairly cheap, mine cost about $100 and is rated at 1200W (about 1600VA I think). Although any good power supply will have surge protection, a line down in a storm, or some idiot running into a power pole somewhere, will leave you with nothing but an expensive toast rack. Also a LAN party trick (Turning off the switchboard).
m
l
October 5, 2011 3:52:57 AM

Great point about using a UPS. That's always a good idea. I just replaced the batteries and I think it ran me about $70 USD.

I'm running an OCZ Revodrive 3 x2 right now and the speed is incredible. For the first time in my life I have a computer that can keep up with me :bounce:  Very happy with this system!
m
l
!