Question about my asus z68 pro motherboard

combatadvocate86

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
in my bios it has 3 settings to choose from, power saver, normal which its defaultly set to, and one called asus Optimal. It claims on a side graph that it will greatly increase the performance of my rig, new to overclocking and such and I couldnt find any articles on it. Anyone know if its a good setting or not? thanks for the help.

Was your owners manual any help ? Where exactly in the bios is this option and what board is it. Sounds like the optimal setting will increase the perfomance as well as the power consumption. What power supply do you have ? What cpu do you have ? What is your ram ? If you listed all your components I wouldn't have to ask so many questions.

combatadvocate86

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
The manual gives the same generic answer as it does when you select the option, im more asking if someone has any actual experience with it and if anyone has heard of any downsides to it. its on the first page you go to, there is a chart and those 3 options, then a tab to select advanced where you would go to do manual overclocking and such. It actually claims it would not increase consumption, but if it did I would be covered im running a corsair 750 gold. 2nd gen core I7 2600k 3.4 ghz. 8 gig g skill sniper 1600.

persason

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
I WAS WONDERING THE EXACT SAME THING! Then I found out :) Basically when you set it to Asus Optimal mode from normal mode and SAVE the changes then it unlocks your CPU and RAM frequency so that when you are in your OS (windows) another program can change your RAM and CPU frequencies. For example the software Asus AI suit can adjust your CPU and OC it when required.

You can see the changes for yourself under the AI tweaker in your BIOS advanced options after you change and save them.

From Normal --> Asus Optimal
Target CPU turbo mode speed: 3700MHz -->4200MHz on my I5 2500k
Target DRAM speed _ 1300MHz -->1600MHz on my 1600MHz corsair RAM

It will boost your performance by a little bit and allow you to OC through the OS or let a program manage it for you.

Persason :)