Running two hard drives

xsenergy1984

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Hello first off i was in the market for a ssd i was thinking to get a samsung 840 series 120gb as a boot drive and a 1tb hd for media such as music and movies. i have never run two hard drives before so this will be completely new to me. just looking for some suggested hdds and a few tips on running them together thanks.

Solution
Assuming its new its probably not partitioned or formatted. Go to disk management and format it. As mentioned above I like making lots of partitions. One games, one for music, one for movies, etc. Up to you how you want it.

4745454b

Titan
That would be me. I have 5hdds, allowing 4+TBs of storage. (and I'm about to buy another 2TB drive for backups.) I'm also a partition wh0re and I'm up to virtual drive S. Each type of media gets its own drive. Or two...

As Cons said as long as everything is SATA then you are good. If you are using the SSD for your OS you might want to consider using port 0 or 1, whichever is lower. That should make it the default hdd in the bios. Other then that there isn't really anything to do.

xsenergy1984

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Ok well, then i do have a question because i do have two hdds and when i tried to plug in my second one my mother board saw it but when i went to "my computer" i could not see it or the files in it. Would you know the reason for that? i could also find it if i went to my device manager but again i could not add files to it or see files in it these are both sata drives but there just temporary till i get my new hdds.

4745454b

Titan
Assuming its new its probably not partitioned or formatted. Go to disk management and format it. As mentioned above I like making lots of partitions. One games, one for music, one for movies, etc. Up to you how you want it.

Solution

xsenergy1984

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Thanks, it was a little bit of a pain but, I got my hard drives working i could not figure out how to format them for the first time but i ended up figuring it out now there working great thanks.