Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Fans blow direction

Last response: in Components
Share
January 23, 2011 6:13:09 PM

HI

i have basic Case

which got 3 Fans 1 below the PSU, 1 ahead of the Hard drives , 1 on side panel

the problem is i think they dont placed in the right direction i.e. blow or suck??

Right now all of the sucking (as far as i understand) all of them with the sticker side to inside , (directed toward the MOBO)

i suspect it isnt good ...

what do you think guys?

More about : fans blow direction

January 23, 2011 7:06:10 PM

If you look at the top and or sides of the fans, there are arrows indicating the direction of airflow. Front fans should be sucking cool air in (arrow towards MOBO), rear fans are obviously exhaust (blowing out, arrow facing the back of case), and side panel fans are dependent upon location. If if higher on the side it's probably meant to exhaust while a low side fan is probably meant to suck in cool air and blow it on the MOBO.
a c 246 ) Power supply
January 23, 2011 7:09:56 PM

Generally, top and back blow out, with the front and side sucking into the case, this makes the air moves from bottom front to top rear across all the components on the motherboard.
Related resources
January 23, 2011 7:37:53 PM

cmp2993 said:
If you look at the top and or sides of the fans, there are arrows indicating the direction of airflow. Front fans should be sucking cool air in (arrow towards MOBO), rear fans are obviously exhaust (blowing out, arrow facing the back of case), and side panel fans are dependent upon location. If if higher on the side it's probably meant to exhaust while a low side fan is probably meant to suck in cool air and blow it on the MOBO.


i did saw little arrows but it doesnt say much to me , all of the 3 fans are one old model
"utopia f80251sm" dc 12v 0.14a >> except the side panel is led too

isnt the direction of the sitcker side of the fans indicates if its sucking or blowing?

as i see if the sticker side is toward the mobo it sucks (LOL)

(isnt GENERAL RULE?)

here are the example of location of the fans:

front + rear



sidepanel:






hunter315 said:
Generally, top and back blow out, with the front and side sucking into the case, this makes the air moves from bottom front to top rear across all the components on the motherboard.


what do you mean top? i dont have "top" fan
a c 246 ) Power supply
January 23, 2011 7:41:21 PM

Many new cases have bottom mounted PSUs so they have a fan on the top back, yours is an older design with a top mounted PSU but the PSU still has a fan to help exhaust some hot air from the case.

Sticker side doesnt mean anything, check them by holding a tissue in front of them, that will let you know which way the air is flowing.
January 23, 2011 7:42:31 PM

Your top back fan is your PSU fan haha. That's what he meant, everyone has a top back fan inside the PSU blowing out. There is also usually one or more fan spots on the back wall of the case. But what he said is correct, that's the general rule for fans.

As for using stickers to determine suck/blow, I have no idea I never pay attention to stickers, only to the physical arrors because you know those are right.
January 23, 2011 8:30:57 PM

hunter315 said:
Many new cases have bottom mounted PSUs so they have a fan on the top back, yours is an older design with a top mounted PSU but the PSU still has a fan to help exhaust some hot air from the case.

Sticker side doesnt mean anything, check them by holding a tissue in front of them, that will let you know which way the air is flowing.


i just checked the rear + the side panel with the tissue they both suck , so more than likely that the Front is sucking too.. (they bring air tworad the MOBO)

i guess its bad thing , and probably thats the way my whole case become full with dust

so which one to change


*what you said about the new cases totally new to me, thanks for the info thats feature would help

when i buy new case which i plan ....


2237221,7,811939 said:
Your top back fan is your PSU fan haha. That's what he meant, everyone has a top back fan inside the PSU blowing out. There is also usually one or more fan spots on the back wall of the case. But what he said is correct, that's the general rule for fans.

As for using stickers to determine suck/blow, I have no idea I never pay attention to stickers, only to the physical arrors because you know those are right.[/quotemsg

i have only one fan under the PSU (rear) the case from 2004-5~ , but as i peek through the cables & component , i can see that there is place for another fan on the front

*guess my way of determining by the sticker was right after all

but iam going to check the arrows way too that seems more accurate

so what shell i do now?
January 23, 2011 9:00:42 PM

Ok, the REAR should NEVER be sucking air into your computer. The rear should always be blowing air out of your case.

And yes the way your fans are setup now is all blowing air into your case which is wrong. You will experience a lot more dust that way lol.

Check all your fans and make sure they follow the rules we talked about... rear fans always blow air OUT of case. Side and front fans always blow air INTO the case.
January 23, 2011 10:06:54 PM

If you're having trouble determining the direction the fan blows in a good general rule is to look at the fins. The concave side of the fins is the direction the air will blow in.
January 23, 2011 10:33:35 PM

cmp2993 said:
Ok, the REAR should NEVER be sucking air into your computer. The rear should always be blowing air out of your case.

And yes the way your fans are setup now is all blowing air into your case which is wrong. You will experience a lot more dust that way lol.

Check all your fans and make sure they follow the rules we talked about... rear fans always blow air OUT of case. Side and front fans always blow air INTO the case.


ok , do you think its better to add another front fan (cause i as i mentioned i have place for it)
January 23, 2011 10:46:15 PM

If your case has the place for it, then yes I suggest you do. The case was obviously designed to work best with those spots filled with a fan. Remember a front fan should always be sucking air into the case.
January 18, 2012 4:23:30 AM

cmp2993 said:
Ok, the REAR should NEVER be sucking air into your computer. The rear should always be blowing air out of your case.
I've got a bit of a unique situation. I'm using a corsair H80 hydro cooler which goes in the rear fan position and draws air INTO the case and across its radiator. Unfortunately, this means I no longer have an option for an exhaust fan in the traditional position.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Should I maybe turn my front fan(s) into exhaust fans for a reverse of the traditional setup?

In addition to the typical Front(x2) and Rear(x1) locations, I also have top (blowhole), side, and bottom fan mounts in my case. I was thinking of leaving the front/rear fans blowing in, while adding a side fan to also blow in on the GPUs, then use the top and bottom locations for exhaust. So front, rear, and side as intakes. Top and bottom as exhaust. Would this work decent enough? My only real heat concern is I have two GTX560 Ti's in SLI.
January 19, 2012 10:54:48 AM

Mayhemm said:
I've got a bit of a unique situation. I'm using a corsair H80 hydro cooler which goes in the rear fan position and draws air INTO the case and across its radiator. Unfortunately, this means I no longer have an option for an exhaust fan in the traditional position.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Should I maybe turn my front fan(s) into exhaust fans for a reverse of the traditional setup?

In addition to the typical Front(x2) and Rear(x1) locations, I also have top (blowhole), side, and bottom fan mounts in my case. I was thinking of leaving the front/rear fans blowing in, while adding a side fan to also blow in on the GPUs, then use the top and bottom locations for exhaust. So front, rear, and side as intakes. Top and bottom as exhaust. Would this work decent enough? My only real heat concern is I have two GTX560 Ti's in SLI.


No you have this set up incorrectly. After checking a few online reviews that fan is still an exhaust fan, you are currently pulling heated air into your system. simply turn the waterblock/fan (waterblock should be attached to the back of the case with the fan on top of it) so the fan can take all available air in the case and force it through the radiator, cooling your cpu.

The Bottom fan is also an intake fan, usually for your psu. One rule of thumb is that hot air rises so have your system work with it and not against it. If you have the bottom one as an exhaust then other fans will be taking this rising warm air and pulling it into the system in an attempt to cool it, very inefficient.

Rear + Top for exhaust

Bottom + Front + Side for intake
!