Status
Not open for further replies.

makaveli2007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
HI

i have basic Case

which got 3 Fans 1 below the PSU, 1 ahead of the Hard drives , 1 on side panel

the problem is i think they dont placed in the right direction i.e. blow or suck??

Right now all of the sucking (as far as i understand) all of them with the sticker side to inside , (directed toward the MOBO)

i suspect it isnt good ...

what do you think guys?

cmp2993

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
If you look at the top and or sides of the fans, there are arrows indicating the direction of airflow. Front fans should be sucking cool air in (arrow towards MOBO), rear fans are obviously exhaust (blowing out, arrow facing the back of case), and side panel fans are dependent upon location. If if higher on the side it's probably meant to exhaust while a low side fan is probably meant to suck in cool air and blow it on the MOBO.

makaveli2007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010

i did saw little arrows but it doesnt say much to me , all of the 3 fans are one old model
"utopia f80251sm" dc 12v 0.14a >> except the side panel is led too

isnt the direction of the sitcker side of the fans indicates if its sucking or blowing?

as i see if the sticker side is toward the mobo it sucks (LOL)

(isnt GENERAL RULE?)

here are the example of location of the fans:

front + rear

63593720.jpg

sidepanel:

computercase.jpg

what do you mean top? i dont have "top" fan

Many new cases have bottom mounted PSUs so they have a fan on the top back, yours is an older design with a top mounted PSU but the PSU still has a fan to help exhaust some hot air from the case.

Sticker side doesnt mean anything, check them by holding a tissue in front of them, that will let you know which way the air is flowing.

cmp2993

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Your top back fan is your PSU fan haha. That's what he meant, everyone has a top back fan inside the PSU blowing out. There is also usually one or more fan spots on the back wall of the case. But what he said is correct, that's the general rule for fans.

As for using stickers to determine suck/blow, I have no idea I never pay attention to stickers, only to the physical arrors because you know those are right.

makaveli2007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010

i just checked the rear + the side panel with the tissue they both suck , so more than likely that the Front is sucking too.. (they bring air tworad the MOBO)

i guess its bad thing , and probably thats the way my whole case become full with dust

so which one to change

*what you said about the new cases totally new to me, thanks for the info thats feature would help

when i buy new case which i plan ....

cmp2993

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Ok, the REAR should NEVER be sucking air into your computer. The rear should always be blowing air out of your case.

And yes the way your fans are setup now is all blowing air into your case which is wrong. You will experience a lot more dust that way lol.

Check all your fans and make sure they follow the rules we talked about... rear fans always blow air OUT of case. Side and front fans always blow air INTO the case.

c_for

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
If you're having trouble determining the direction the fan blows in a good general rule is to look at the fins. The concave side of the fins is the direction the air will blow in.

makaveli2007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010

ok , do you think its better to add another front fan (cause i as i mentioned i have place for it)

cmp2993

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
If your case has the place for it, then yes I suggest you do. The case was obviously designed to work best with those spots filled with a fan. Remember a front fan should always be sucking air into the case.

Mayhemm

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
I've got a bit of a unique situation. I'm using a corsair H80 hydro cooler which goes in the rear fan position and draws air INTO the case and across its radiator. Unfortunately, this means I no longer have an option for an exhaust fan in the traditional position.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Should I maybe turn my front fan(s) into exhaust fans for a reverse of the traditional setup?

In addition to the typical Front(x2) and Rear(x1) locations, I also have top (blowhole), side, and bottom fan mounts in my case. I was thinking of leaving the front/rear fans blowing in, while adding a side fan to also blow in on the GPUs, then use the top and bottom locations for exhaust. So front, rear, and side as intakes. Top and bottom as exhaust. Would this work decent enough? My only real heat concern is I have two GTX560 Ti's in SLI.

smeg4brainsuk

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

No you have this set up incorrectly. After checking a few online reviews that fan is still an exhaust fan, you are currently pulling heated air into your system. simply turn the waterblock/fan (waterblock should be attached to the back of the case with the fan on top of it) so the fan can take all available air in the case and force it through the radiator, cooling your cpu.

The Bottom fan is also an intake fan, usually for your psu. One rule of thumb is that hot air rises so have your system work with it and not against it. If you have the bottom one as an exhaust then other fans will be taking this rising warm air and pulling it into the system in an attempt to cool it, very inefficient.

Rear + Top for exhaust

Bottom + Front + Side for intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS