DirectX9.0c is now available - problems with UT2004?

Hi folks - DirectX9.0c is now available from Microsoft here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9226A611-62FE-4F61-ABA1-914185249413&displaylang=en

However, I wouldnt recommend rushing into using it with UT2004. I'm using it
and there are some strange stutters / slow-downs.... I've got a radeon 9800
with the catalyst 4.7 drivers installed. Someone I know has also seen a
similar affect using it with an NVidia card.

I suspect the upgrade enables stuff in UT that's been there all along ---
this may be the cause. There could be a tweak to fix the problem if only I
knew what to tweak.

Is anyone else getting problems like this? Anyone know a solution?

Paul
3 answers Last reply
More about directx9 problems ut2004
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 19:58:15 +0100, "flak monkey"

    > Anyone know a solution?

    Not trying to sound like a complete ass, but your best solution in a
    situation like this is a good backup. It's fairly well known that
    DirectX cannot be uninstalled... at least it's not supported, so
    before making a plunge like that you should image your hard drive so
    you can recover gracefully when/if it borks your system.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Best to stick to "if its not broken,dont fix it" then

    "flak monkey" <p-a-u-l-s-p-a-m@which.net> wrote in message
    > Hi folks - DirectX9.0c is now available from Microsoft here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9226A611-62FE-4F61-ABA1-914185249413&displaylang=en

    > However, I wouldnt recommend rushing into using it with UT2004. I'm using
    it
    > and there are some strange stutters / slow-downs.... I've got a radeon
    9800
    > with the catalyst 4.7 drivers installed. Someone I know has also seen a
    > similar affect using it with an NVidia card.
    >
    > I suspect the upgrade enables stuff in UT that's been there all along ---
    > this may be the cause. There could be a tweak to fix the problem if only I
    > knew what to tweak.
    >
    > Is anyone else getting problems like this? Anyone know a solution?
    >
    > Paul

  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    "flak monkey" <p-a-u-l-s-p-a-m@which.net> wrote in message
    > Hi folks - DirectX9.0c is now available from Microsoft here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9226A611-62FE-4F61-ABA1-914185249413&displaylang=en

    > However, I wouldnt recommend rushing into using it with UT2004. I'm using
    it
    > and there are some strange stutters / slow-downs.... I've got a radeon
    9800
    > with the catalyst 4.7 drivers installed. Someone I know has also seen a
    > similar affect using it with an NVidia card.
    >
    > I suspect the upgrade enables stuff in UT that's been there all along ---
    > this may be the cause. There could be a tweak to fix the problem if only I
    > knew what to tweak.
    >
    > Is anyone else getting problems like this? Anyone know a solution?
    >
    > Paul

    did you upgrade your video drivers at the same time? I would more likely
    blame the catalyst drivers since 4.6 and 4.7 seem to be causing quite a few
    problems for some people with games. I haven't had any problems on my 9700
    pro system with cat 3.9 or my nvidia system with dx9.0C.
    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

Video Games