DirectX9.0c is now available - problems with UT2004?

Hi folks - DirectX9.0c is now available from Microsoft here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9226A611-62FE-4F61-ABA1-914185249413&displaylang=en

However, I wouldnt recommend rushing into using it with UT2004. I'm using it
and there are some strange stutters / slow-downs.... I've got a radeon 9800
with the catalyst 4.7 drivers installed. Someone I know has also seen a
similar affect using it with an NVidia card.

I suspect the upgrade enables stuff in UT that's been there all along ---
this may be the cause. There could be a tweak to fix the problem if only I
knew what to tweak.

Is anyone else getting problems like this? Anyone know a solution?

Paul

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 19:58:15 +0100, "flak monkey"

> Anyone know a solution?

Not trying to sound like a complete ass, but your best solution in a
situation like this is a good backup. It's fairly well known that
DirectX cannot be uninstalled... at least it's not supported, so
before making a plunge like that you should image your hard drive so
you can recover gracefully when/if it borks your system.

Best to stick to "if its not broken,dont fix it" then

"flak monkey" <p-a-u-l-s-p-a-m@which.net> wrote in message
> Hi folks - DirectX9.0c is now available from Microsoft here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9226A611-62FE-4F61-ABA1-914185249413&displaylang=en

> However, I wouldnt recommend rushing into using it with UT2004. I'm using
it
> and there are some strange stutters / slow-downs.... I've got a radeon
9800
> with the catalyst 4.7 drivers installed. Someone I know has also seen a
> similar affect using it with an NVidia card.
>
> I suspect the upgrade enables stuff in UT that's been there all along ---
> this may be the cause. There could be a tweak to fix the problem if only I
> knew what to tweak.
>
> Is anyone else getting problems like this? Anyone know a solution?
>
> Paul

"flak monkey" <p-a-u-l-s-p-a-m@which.net> wrote in message
> Hi folks - DirectX9.0c is now available from Microsoft here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9226A611-62FE-4F61-ABA1-914185249413&displaylang=en

> However, I wouldnt recommend rushing into using it with UT2004. I'm using
it
> and there are some strange stutters / slow-downs.... I've got a radeon
9800
> with the catalyst 4.7 drivers installed. Someone I know has also seen a
> similar affect using it with an NVidia card.
>
> I suspect the upgrade enables stuff in UT that's been there all along ---
> this may be the cause. There could be a tweak to fix the problem if only I
> knew what to tweak.
>
> Is anyone else getting problems like this? Anyone know a solution?
>
> Paul

did you upgrade your video drivers at the same time? I would more likely
blame the catalyst drivers since 4.6 and 4.7 seem to be causing quite a few
problems for some people with games. I haven't had any problems on my 9700
pro system with cat 3.9 or my nvidia system with dx9.0C.
--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm