Sign in with
Your question

ATI card with NVIDIA chipset?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 9, 2010 5:24:15 PM

Hey there. I recently had my beloved Geforce 8800 GTS die on me, and I had to replace it on a budget. I went with an XFX Radeon HD 5670. I mostly play older DX9 games like Spore, HL2, Roller Coater Tycoon 3, and Titan Quest. With the 8800, I could play all these games at max settings with AA/AF enabled, and they played like butta. With the 5670 I have to lower the settings to medium, or even low, and forget about AA/AF.

I thought at first it was due to the 5670 being a budget card, but I installed Spore and Titan Quest on my laptop which features an even slower video card (a Radeon HD 5145) and to my surprise they played fairly smoothly at a similar resolution and higher detail settings. Huh?

Quick Specs:

Desktop: AMD Phenom II X2 555 @3.2 GHZ | Asus M4N75TD mobo | 4 GB Crucial Balistix | WD 7200rpm 500Gb HDD w/32mb cache | XFX Radeon HD 5670 1GB | Windows 7 home premium 64-bit | latest drivers installed for 5670

Laptop: AMD Turion II Dual-Core P520 2.3Ghz | unknown mobo w/AMD M880G chipset | 4 GB unknown memory | 320GB 5400 rpm HDD | Radeon mobility HD 5145 | Windows 7 home premium 64bit | factory video drivers

I can't figure out why my slower laptop would be faster in games that my desktop. I checked to make sure there wasn't any memory or processor hungry processes running in the backround on the desktop machine. My Asus motherboard features an NVIDIA Nforce 750a SLI chipset. Could that be the issue? Is the NVIDIA chipset not playing nice with the ATI card? Should I ditch the ATI card and go back to NVIDIA? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
September 9, 2010 5:27:34 PM

Did you use driversweeper to clean out all old AMD/Nvidia display drivers and install a new version off AMD.com?

This might be a little late, but a HD4850 at the same price as the HD5670 might be alot better than you, You dont need DX11 and your PSU is beefy enough as it powered a 8800GTS.

m
l
September 9, 2010 5:35:14 PM

Also, did you go to ati.com and download the latest drivers, or did you let Win 7 find the drivers and install them? If you didn't download the latest version, I strongly suggest you do so.

The ATI GPU will play quite nicely with the Nvidia chipset based mobo. Not an issue.

Also, do as Timop suggests, regardless of where you got your drivers. Clean the drivers, then install the current drivers. You should be good to go afterwards.

Good luck!
m
l
Related resources
September 9, 2010 10:00:08 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. When I installed the card, I also upgraded from Win XP to Win 7. I did a clean install, so old drivers from the NVIDIA card shouldn't be an issue. I also made sure I downloaded the newest drivers from AMD's website.

I noticed that the games where the 5670 suffers the most are Spore and Titan Quest, and both games feature NVIDIA badges on their splash screens. The one game that the 5670 actually out does the 8800 is RTC3, which features an ATI badge on it's splash. So that kind of solves the mystery to an extent, but I still can't figure out why my laptop seems to be faster in games when it's got a slower CPU and GPU. I mean, Titan Quest plays almost as well on the laptop as it did on the desktop when I had the 8800.

I'm wondering if I should splurge a wee bit and get a GTX 460. There are some games coming out that I'm interested in that could probably benefit from a fast DX11 card. Like Rage, Diablo 3, and Star Wars The Old Republic.
m
l
September 9, 2010 10:09:02 PM

Wait a bit since those games you are looking at won't be out for a while and AMD is Going to release 6xxx series in a few months which will most likely make Nvidia drop the price on the 460 and amd drop the price on the 58xx series.
m
l
September 11, 2010 2:21:03 AM

COLGeek said:
Also, did you go to ati.com and download the latest drivers, or did you let Win 7 find the drivers and install them? If you didn't download the latest version, I strongly suggest you do so.

The ATI GPU will play quite nicely with the Nvidia chipset based mobo. Not an issue.

Also, do as Timop suggests, regardless of where you got your drivers. Clean the drivers, then install the current drivers. You should be good to go afterwards.

Good luck!

Ageed - I'm running an AMD 5570 with CCC on a Nvidia chipset and it works perfectly. I did have to disable the 6250 onboard video to make it work.
Good luck!
m
l
!