RAID setup with 3 drives

fat-chunk

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
Hi there,

My operating system and frequently used programs are currently installed on a 120GB SSD, which is doing its job just fine.

I keep all of my data (movies, music, games etc.) on a 1TB mechanical hard drive, but this has recently begun to fill up pretty quickly. None of this data is backed up either.

I was thinking of setting up a RAID array with 3 drives. I would buy a 2TB drive in order to give myself a total 3TB of space (along with the drive I already own), and then another 3TB hard drive on which I would mirror and back up all of my data.

My question is: Would this be possible? What would I need to do to go about setting it up (are there any guides for this?)

Also, would this be in any way difficult or tedious considering I already have things saved to my 1TB hardrive? would I need to back up the data and wipe the drive?

Thanks in advance for all of the help!

with raid you need to have hard drives with same capacity. if you have a 120gb ssd and you want to raid 5 it with a 1 tb and a 2 tb the 2 and 1 tb drive will act like a 120 gb drives to make 3 drives the same capacity

fat-chunk

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
No that's not what I meant. Forget the SSD.

The three drives I want are:

- 1TB and 2TB for storage
- 3TB drive for backup

Would this be possible?

As alvine said, this will not work and moreover it makes no sense. raid is not a backup! It helps nothing, if you delete a file by mistake and will mirror any virus directly to the other disk. My recommendation: use the 3TB disk as your main file storage, because it will be the fastest. Then use something like the SyncToy (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155) to copy the data to the other disks (1TB+2TB) frequently.

Get a program like SyncBack Free http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/

It will backup your data, regardless of drive sizes. Very easy to configure and works across a network if you have multiple computers.

This is a lot easier to maintain than trying to configure and maintain a RAID for a home setup....