GTX460 768MB or 1GB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Alright, its upgrade time. I posted a thread earlier some months ago when I was aiming for a GTX465, but now the Nvidia Geforce GTX460 has come out and I am going to buy it. I don't really game, just sometimes, but I mostly use a flight simulator, some editing, and CAD (nothing to serious, google sketchup mostly). My 8800GTS 640MB, is still a monster but its starting to well...get outdated and can't handle some of the stuff I do anymore. Its time for it to retire. So my question was, I see two different GTX 460's, the 768MB and the 1GB version. The 1GB version is about $30+ more expensive if not more, so is the 1GB version that much better that its worth the price jump?, and what confuses me is that the 1GB version seemingly has a slower Core/Mem/Shader Clock than the 768MB version. Either way, the jump to the 460 will give me a huge performance jump, its probably three times as powerful and has DX11 which I am looking forward to and 3D. So any ideas as what the point of more memory but less Clocks is? And is the extra 256MB of on board ram justifiable especially for my needs? Thanks for any advice.

Solution
While the GTS 450 will certainly be a lot better than your 8800 GTS it is nowhere near as good as either version of the GTX 460. Considering your resolution is 1080p I highly recommend sticking with the GTX 460. The GTS 450 will be passable at that resolution for now but the GTX 460 is simply much more appropriate, especially if you want a card that will last you a while.
If you do not game very much and do not use a 30" display the smaller card is plenty, even at 1920x1200. Just keep the AA settings down and you'll be fine.
Unless you need them, leave the factory overclocked and specially cooled cards alone, the stock coolers do a good job and are quiet with it and you can always tweak the card yourself ;)

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
My resolution is 1080P on a 23'' Monitor. My current 8800GTS 640MB is actually factory overclocked but it doesn't give very good frame rates, I barely need the AA, only in CAD, but my 8800GTS already handles the CAD AA well so the 768MB would only improve. And in games, I just want crank up the texture settings and some other stuff just a bit. So I am leaning towards the 768MB a lot right now. It should be a massive upgrade in performance either way. Plus my main reason is DX11. And I don't plan on upgrading my display, sometimes I connect it to my 50'' plasma but the plasma is 1080i anyway. And I was thinking of the future and maybe buying the 1GB but the thing is, if my 8800GTS 640mb still "almost" suits my needs after 4 years I think after its release, the 768MB 460 should obliterate it. Thanks for the points though.

That doesn't matter to the average user who keeps the card long enough till it either fails or becomes minimum requirements. The extra performance is only extra compared to memory.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

For an extra 20$ you get a 1gb version that performs 10% better?
Lasts longer and runs faster for the games that come out within the next 2-3 years would normally catch the average user in my opinion.

You missed what I was saying but the point was buying the 1gb version over the 768mb on memory alone the extra performance is only extra. Go look at one of my recent threads ware I posted a screen shot of me using up a full gb of vram under gpu-z 4.6

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
1gb GTS450 for $150.

OR

1gb GTX460 for $220.

*I* can't see a reason for a 768mb any longer - reference Monster cards: Sure, the 2mb card would allow for 3dFX + OpenGL, but it'd push 15-30FPS oppose to the 4mb at solid 30+.
The past few years *really* feel like 1996-1998 all over again and stepping up to Pentium2's with Voodoo cards ;)

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
i'm getting the 768mb version. because there's almost, more or less than $50 price diff (give or take) from where i'm from.

i'll oc the card the card anyway, and i'm the type that do change gpu's atleast twice a year (just sold my 260-216.

and what ct615 said.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Hythos thats interesting, haven't heard of the GTS 400's series but I took a look and found this article
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/gf106-fermi-gts-gtx-gf100,11013.html
It says they should be coming out september, I might actually hold off on the 460 if the GTS series is coming out, they will still be tremendoulsy more powerful then my 8800GTS 640mb and should still serve all my needs, I am really thinking about waiting now for the GTS series. I never even knew about that before, thank you hythos.

1gb.jpg

I dare to differ

I dunno, I'm still a fan of the 1GB GTX 460. With more texture processing ability, it will outperform the 768MB. Yes you can OC the 768MB to match or beat the 1GB. But you can also OC the 1GB to beat out the OC'd 768MB. So who cares? LOL

There are situations where the 1GB of RAM can come in handy, for example if people want to play GTA IV. It loves VRAM if you want to elevate some graphic settings.

I can OC my GTX 470 to GTX 480 speeds if I pack it in dry ice (I wouldn't bother OC'ing with it's current temps). But that makes more sense given the price differential between 470 and 480.

Since the OP is using a 1080P monitor, I'd suggest the 1GB to be safest, plus the 1GB is faster at stock speeds due to better texture processing, etc.

To the OP: So far as 3D is concerned. Don't worry about 3D until your next GPU upgrade. For one it's still in it's infancy, so not many titles support it. Not to mention @ 1080P with DX11 and then 3D added on, the GTX 460 isn't going to be powerful enough to do all that smoothly. By the time 3D has convinced anyone it's legit and here to stay, you'll be due for another upgrade.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
GTS 450 was just released on newegg. It is 129.99...which is cheaper then the cheapest GTX460 which is 169.99. So just wondering it GTS450 still going to be a big performance jump from my 8800GTS 640MB...when I mean big then I am talking a very noticeable performance increase in games and stuff.?

Yes and it will use less power but not by any significant margin. It will out perform nicely but with current drivers it isn't as rosy as it should be. I was going to buy one my self but decided in one good card vs sli as a option down the road so this card is just right for you. Plus its extra features will be a pay off in the long run with a much lower idle power draw.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Sounds great, if this card really does outperform my 8800GTS 640mb then I am buying probably tomorrow. It outperforms, is smaller, is more efficient, is cooler...and comes at a nice price tag. BTW any chance I can use my 8800GTS as a physics card or something like that?...if I already have it I might as well put it good use right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS