Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Game won't install on secondary hard drive

Last response: in Storage
February 7, 2013 2:47:15 PM

I have a solid state as my primary drive so it has a small amount of storage and i'm trying to install several games on my secondary 1tb drive. for some reason i just cant get them to install there please help!! it is probably something really simple and I am just missing it. games are crysis 2 and batman arkham city

Best solution

a c 79 G Storage
February 7, 2013 3:36:27 PM

The default installation path is to a folder on the boot drive (your SSD). If you want to change that, you need to click "Custom Installation" or "Change" or something similar to that when the installer opens.

Sorry I can't be more more specific. I am not a game player, but the principle is the same for all programs.
a b G Storage
February 7, 2013 3:56:10 PM

Phil is right!
the installer will show where it is going to install the game ..you need to change the "drive" letter from C:/programs/x86..... to D:/programs/x86... or what ever letter you have assigned to you big drive...
Sometimes it's as easy as clicking on the line and changing the letter or having to click on "custom" or "change" to do this.
Hope this helps...JQ
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
February 7, 2013 3:59:15 PM

Are you installing through Steam?
m
l
February 7, 2013 5:04:03 PM

no its not steam although i used steam on my laptop a while back. wow i feel dumb now lol i should have known to hit custom instead of quick install. thanks for being nice in your answers!!
m
l
a c 152 G Storage
February 7, 2013 5:10:04 PM

If the game is installed and you do not want to have to uninstall and reinstall it, you can copy it to the hard drive(lets say d : \ games \) and then make a junction from the "old" folder on the SSD to the "new" folder on the hard drive.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/294557-32-guide-move-...

This can work both ways, so if at any point you have a game you WANT on the SSD and it is installed on the hard drive, you can make a folder on the SSD c: \ Games \ and move the game folder over and create a junction from the hard drive to the ssd.

The nice thing is the game does not know it has been moved and you do not have to reinstall or get updates.
m
l
February 7, 2013 8:42:43 PM

nukemaster said:
If the game is installed and you do not want to have to uninstall and reinstall it, you can copy it to the hard drive(lets say d : \ games \) and then make a junction from the "old" folder on the SSD to the "new" folder on the hard drive.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/294557-32-guide-move-...

This can work both ways, so if at any point you have a game you WANT on the SSD and it is installed on the hard drive, you can make a folder on the SSD c: \ Games \ and move the game folder over and create a junction from the hard drive to the ssd.

The nice thing is the game does not know it has been moved and you do not have to reinstall or get updates.

ok thanks for that. i have a game or two on my ssd that i may transfer at some time
m
l
February 7, 2013 8:43:06 PM

Best answer selected by thdarkshadow.
m
l
!