Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

9800 GTX without dirvers under DOS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 9, 2010 7:02:01 PM

HI,

first of all hello to everyone, this is my first post on these forums. Now to the subject.


I have a problem with 9800 GTX overheating when using her in DOS mode, or BIOS. Video signal will disappear while card is hot and fan speed will stay constantly low. If I add additional fan to the card it will operate for prolonged periods of time.

As soon as windows are starting to load if card has been running in DOS mode for longer periods of time fan speed will go up to max. It operates normally in windows. I monitor temperatures and while playing games it will rarely exceed 80C (simple games like Spore or similar). No load temperature is approx 66C. Changes of fan speed are easily heard.

If I run synthetic tests card will reach 105 and then fluctuate. I therefore assume card is not flawed.

Same if windows is shutting down but fails to complete power off and locks in "Windows is shutting down..." card will overheat and system refuse to pass BIOS screen for about 30 minutes.


I was wondering if anyone has similar issues. Maybe someone could test their own card. If there is no additional cooling (card and motherboard running in opened chassis without fans ) card will overheat in about 30 minutes, but fan speed will never rise.

More about : 9800 gtx dirvers dos

a b Î Nvidia
September 9, 2010 7:08:51 PM

This is odd that this takes place but then again most people don't use pure dos any more so I suggest that you attempt going after market cooling that you can control by hardware when running dos. By the way what are you doing in dos for those long periods of time?
September 9, 2010 7:46:26 PM

nforce4max said:
This is odd that this takes place but then again most people don't use pure dos any more so I suggest that you attempt going after market cooling that you can control by hardware when running dos. By the way what are you doing in dos for those long periods of time?



DOS is very useful for doing low level operations, like HDD clonning, HDD and RAID recovery, backups... Some of these operations last for days.

I don't think I am going to be spending money on additional cooling, this card was expensive as it was and more than that I think this card has design flaw. I also suspect it might be solved fairy easily because 8800GTX cards will increase fan speed under same conditions.

I just wanted for someone who has same card to do the test and help me out here by confirming that either card is flawed or it has design issues. Note that same overheating takes place when windows was shutting down. So this is not just DOS issue.
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
September 9, 2010 8:08:16 PM

105C is a bit hot for NVidia cards. Even ATI cards can't go much above that. Overheating while in BIOS is not good. Have you tried contacting the manufacturer and is it still under warranty? How old is it and which card (link) is it?
a b Î Nvidia
September 9, 2010 8:13:03 PM

The only use that I have for Dos is bios modding and connecting to Cisco equipment. If you want an easy fix solution then just get your self an after market solution or replace the card but I don't see you doing that as it would be wasteful.
September 9, 2010 9:26:00 PM

EXT64 said:
105C is a bit hot for NVidia cards. Even ATI cards can't go much above that. Overheating while in BIOS is not good. Have you tried contacting the manufacturer and is it still under warranty? How old is it and which card (link) is it?



This is normal for these cards. As I said this is synthetic test, real life scenario, never over 85. I was just hoping someone who owns this card would try testing it, so I can see if this is faulty card or faulty design.
September 9, 2010 9:36:07 PM

nforce4max said:
The only use that I have for Dos is bios modding and connecting to Cisco equipment. If you want an easy fix solution then just get your self an after market solution or replace the card but I don't see you doing that as it would be wasteful.




I have 3 Wat SLI system I use for gaming. They are 8800 GTX, overclocked to 600/1500/980 and E7350 Overclocked to 3,8 and cards never go over 83, CPU rarely over 60, except for CPU cooler all usual stuff. Just fans and all rest stock, even with hot motherboard (ASUS, F Striker II). This card is used for my everyday computer and it is mostly underclocked as is CPU. So for me I don't find it wise investment.
And again this is not just DOS issue. I think it is card issue. I would really appreciate if someone would do simple test this.



Besides that, why is this card overheating for displaying some characters on screen. Even if card is faulty this seems a bit odd, I mean it is few thousands bytes per second compared to god knew how much for Crysis at 1600 1200 DX9 full detail and like 80fps and not to overheat.
a b Î Nvidia
September 9, 2010 10:12:30 PM

It is down to the fan setting in bios and dos. In windows the driver profile sets the fan to a higher rpm so that it doesn't overheat but there isn't much you can do in dos unless you want to build your own dos drivers.
September 9, 2010 10:38:27 PM

nforce4max said:
It is down to the fan setting in bios and dos. In windows the driver profile sets the fan to a higher rpm so that it doesn't overheat but there isn't much you can do in dos unless you want to build your own dos drivers.




I will have do disagree with you. I don't need DOS drivers. This is not just DOS issue. It is also Windows issue, because when windows is locked (computer freeze) in shutting down phase card will overheat and refuse to work for over half hour after computer has been shut down.


VGA VESA standard is defined and card has to support it, because it is inside all BIOS on PC computers. Without that there would be no image from motherboard BIOS before OS boots. Nothing to do with fan and temperature and that is the way it is suppose to be. So card does not need drivers to operate under DOS. This would also imply that having this card and running computer in any other way except windows and maybe linux that both have drivers would cause this card not to cool properly. Again I have 8800GTX cards that are working under BIOS or DOS without overheating and increasing fan speeds.


Card has all necessary hardware and software on board (cards BIOS, fan) to manage temperature. Again this is either faulty design or faulty card. That is why...



I would really like someone else besides me to test this same type of card and assist me in getting an answer, at least one person. All I need to knew if all cards of same type (9800GTX) behave as mine or do I have a faulty card.
a b Î Nvidia
September 10, 2010 1:31:31 AM

If you don't like the answers that you receive then don't bother asking questions and seek your own through your own research for the solutions to your problem.
September 10, 2010 2:51:29 AM

nforce4max said:
If you don't like the answers that you receive then don't bother asking questions and seek your own through your own research for the solutions to your problem.



:lol: 
Your answers make no sense. Why would I need DOS drivers when I have problem even if computer is in BIOS or when Windows fails to shut down.
You say additional cooling - for what? 40 lines of text or static 2D image for card that was priced over 250Euros? :pt1cable: 


I am saying will someone test this card, I am not sure this is design flaw, but if anyone else has same problem then yes it is.
a b Î Nvidia
September 10, 2010 2:56:13 AM

I have never heard of 9800GTXs having this issue (never seen a thread for it here) so I have a feeling this is a defect. Hopefully an actual owner will post to confirm, however my suspicion is that the card BIOS is defective and has the wrong fan curve programmed in. My Sapphire 4650 seems to have that issue, however it is higher than most Sapphire 4650s so other than more noise, it is a minor issue. The card should obviously be able to handle low res text as you point out, so i think this is sufficient reason to RMA or return the card (or at least contact the manufacturer and see if they have a new BIOS you can flash it with).
a b Î Nvidia
September 10, 2010 3:30:29 AM

Slobos said:
:lol: 
Your answers make no sense. Why would I need DOS drivers when I have problem even if computer is in BIOS or when Windows fails to shut down.
You say additional cooling - for what? 40 lines of text or static 2D image for card that was priced over 250Euros? :pt1cable: 


I am saying will someone test this card, I am not sure this is design flaw, but if anyone else has same problem then yes it is.



I find it entertaining how easily people can be lead a stray and deceived. I am not the type that hands every thing on a silver platter even on forums. If you don't like it then to bad don't bother reading it,
September 10, 2010 4:19:59 AM

nforce4max said:
I find it entertaining how easily people can be lead a stray and deceived. I am not the type that hands every thing on a silver platter even on forums. If you don't like it then to bad don't bother reading it,



First of all you were not deceiving me and you were rude. Your ideas were like trying to get in the house threw sewer because you doors are stuck. It might work if you are entering a bank. I think your pride was hurt a bit but thats 0K. Personally I just swallow it and think about what I did wrong instead taking it out on others. But then again I was raised in a family who were not peasants or religious even at least four generations back. Still thank you for trying.
a b Î Nvidia
September 10, 2010 5:08:12 AM

Slobos said:
First of all you were not deceiving me and you were rude. Your ideas were like trying to get in the house threw sewer because you doors are stuck. It might work if you are entering a bank. I think your pride was hurt a bit but thats 0K. Personally I just swallow it and think about what I did wrong instead taking it out on others. But then again I was raised in a family who were not peasants or religious even at least four generations back. Still thank you for trying.



Oh my not another high and mighty elitist who only looks down on us who were not born with a silver spoon in our mouths. Second you better not go there on religion or you will be asking for it big time. :non: 
September 10, 2010 5:21:59 AM

nforce4max said:
Oh my not another high and mighty elitist who only looks down on us who were not born with a silver spoon in our mouths. Second you better not go there on religion or you will be asking for it big time. :non: 




You don't even knew what religion is. When you start from a primitive being (last primitive community discovered in 60' lived isolated from rest of the world in a same way fro 10.000 years adapted in two) you need something to impress. So POP is religion, Hollywood is religion.

As far as calling me elitist goes I've got out of war seeing peasantry (so called "people") slaughter each other for pleasure. We spent five years without any security moving every few months feeding on few pieces of bread and water per day. These days I quit job for Nielsen Media Research (that is where my money came from) because they wanted me to lie cheat and play the game. So try shooting again cowboy.
a b Î Nvidia
September 10, 2010 1:20:38 PM

Slobos said:
You don't even knew what religion is. When you start from a primitive being (last primitive community discovered in 60' lived isolated from rest of the world in a same way fro 10.000 years adapted in two) you need something to impress. So POP is religion, Hollywood is religion.

As far as calling me elitist goes I've got out of war seeing peasantry (so called "people") slaughter each other for pleasure. We spent five years without any security moving every few months feeding on few pieces of bread and water per day. These days I quit job for Nielsen Media Research (that is where my money came from) because they wanted me to lie cheat and play the game. So try shooting again cowboy.



Wow I have dealt with you people before and your type is hopelessly as lost as the rest. Religion is what many of us poor folk only got when the rich take every thing from us and you do gooders don't help. You only do what you do to feel that you have taken the moral high horse but good works does not make one good.

PSALM 14
The fool haith said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

As for your "research" how many have died now? How many poor and the farmers have lost their lives to that terrible regime? What about the people that were killed for nothing and others stripped away from their land leaving the people to starve? Yet you probably don't knowing that the rich men of the earth caused it all. Every thing from apartheid to the engineered virus that ravaged Africa after the polio vaccine was introduced.
September 10, 2010 2:34:09 PM

nforce4max said:
Wow I have dealt with you people before and your type is hopelessly as lost as the rest. Religion is what many of us poor folk only got when the rich take every thing from us and you do gooders don't help. You only do what you do to feel that you have taken the moral high horse but good works does not make one good.

PSALM 14
The fool haith said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

As for your "research" how many have died now? How many poor and the farmers have lost their lives to that terrible regime? What about the people that were killed for nothing and others stripped away from their land leaving the people to starve? Yet you probably don't knowing that the rich men of the earth caused it all. Every thing from apartheid to the engineered virus that ravaged Africa after the polio vaccine was introduced.




First of all this is not the place for discussion of such things. Secondly my father and his father were workers, so I am 50% peasant. We are not rich or influential in any way. Only moral. My grandmother was excluded from her family and communist regime took all my ancestors had. Mother was pressed down all her life because her father was idealist. He did not want to play a game against people. He was all about honesty. Those who threw him and people like him off later sold the country and killed lots of people, but they were peasants that were given a chance by communist regime to take control of country and they played only for their own interests.
I quit my job because I refused to lie and work under such conditions. Most respect me for that. I don't have any money at the time (maybe few euros) and I get place to live food and clothes from a friend and his family that are more or less all academic musicians so they aren't rich, but then again I don't ask for much.

And regarding ordinary people... Well I took much abuse (phisical and moral) and insults from people that were rich or poor, religious or not, different nationalities and so did my family. What I can tell you is that educated people either avoided us because we were (and still relatively are) poor, while peasants with money tried and still try to abuse everyone and everything around them and system is therefore collapsing globally.

So if I would distance my self from "people" the only way I would is by saying that I have morale and class and most of wouldn't last an hour in my shoes.


Regarding religion we were raised atheists, only my fathers parents are religious. That however my friend never meant that we denied god. I study Bible, Bhagavad-Ghita and lots of other things that are not called religion but are form of science, like social biology or physics or music theory.

If you want to talk or continue discussion let me knew. Well find more appropriate place for that. If you want to argue, blame or fight - well I rarely leave the house or socialize because very few knew the art of dialogue. Too many are pure fakes or way too uncontrolled on emotional level to be a pleasant company for me.
a c 172 Î Nvidia
September 10, 2010 3:07:01 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!