OCZ RevoDrive X2 (OS Installation inquiry)

Majestic One

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
I realize that with an SSD you must reinstall a fresh OS when upgrading. However, I was wondering if this will still hold true with the OCZ RevoDrive X2 4 x PCI Express MLC Internal Solid State Drive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227952

Anyone else use this drive or have knowledge for a fact that I will need to reinstall? I was hoping to get away with using Acronis to clone my current drive to it.

UPDATE: There is sometimes an ISSUE with installing x64 on Revodrive X2. I made this video to help out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxWxaPTpd7o

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

I don't know for sure but I know Acronis is very good about cloning from one type of drive to another and making it bootable.

I regularly back up my C drive which is a 2-SSD Raid 0 array to a single regular (mechanical) hard drive. Not only is the mechanical hard drive bootable but if I have to restore my SSD raid array with it, that is bootable also.

On this thread here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/297543-32-windows-migration-betwene#t1988471 The OP used Acronis to clone a OCZ Revodrive to an SSD and it worked, It wasn't without issues but he got them resolved. :sol:

Majestic One

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Thanks Idonno, some good info there. yeah I have been a huge fan of Acronis since I first tried them 5 years ago.
Thanks again. I will repost here when I get the drive installed (a couple of days) and let the thread know how it went.

Majestic One

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Well the cloning went off without a hitch.
The only problem I came across was that I had and older PCI 4-port USB 2.0 card I had gotten years prior and it put me to the point of actually not letting my system even boot from my HDD's as my original setup (I had moved the PCI card to a lower location to fit the SSD).
I pulled the PCI 4-port hub out and the system booted flawlessly on ANY setup. I threw the crappy old equipment across the room so hard and fast after almost 40 minutes of trying to boot up that I had actually threw the card into another dimension. YEAH SERIOUSLY!!! We have yet top find that card man. TOTALLY just vanished. LOL
Here is a screenshot of the final results of my speeds:

This is my results after following this guide:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds#

(Image Uploaded with ImageShack.us)

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Those are some nice speeds at a killer price! Glad it worked out for you. :sol:

Other than your old PCI 4-port USB 2.0 card have you had any issues with that revo drive? The newegg reviews don't look so hot but, if they've solved the issues with a firmware update or something that card is a great deal. :wahoo:

Majestic One

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

nahh, those "bad reviews" are mostly unverified owners who don't know how to re-run WEI and or turn off indexing etc etc etc.
i get a 6 mo. refurbished warranty, but have been offered up to an extra 2 years warranty for a lousy $30. I think i will take newegg up on it in a couple of months. The drive initially shipped with a 3 year for $360 USD. so hell yeah, I got a KILLER deal.
it is 4x 51GB drives, so it is actually only 204GB. so what. I would have to raid 2 100GB drives consuming 2 SATA southbridge ports for a much larger price. so yeah i am hella happy with my 6 free SATA ports and 204GB PCIe SSD... for SURE.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Yea, that's what I did when I built this PC (2-Sata II 120GB SSD's in Raid 0). Even though my board has 2-Sata III ports, there weren't any Sata III SSD's at the time with good write speeds and raiding 2-Sata III SSD's on my Sata III ports was out of the question anyway since Marvell's first generation Sata III controllers sucked anyway.

However the price you payed for your Revo has me thinking and I have two laptops that would definitely benefit from the 2 SSD's I'm using now.

I'm curious what's your total overall score with AS SSD? :sol:

Majestic One

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
i will do one better for ya; i will post up CrystalDisk also:

(Image uploaded with ImageShack.us)

Seriously I am not really that impressed with SSD results, however it really makes gaming much better because it can load textures SO much faster thus allowing you to have a much better quality settings on a lower end card like mine; even though I run 99% of all my games on max settings @1920 w/ an average of 35+/-FPS. GTA IV will only run on my GPU at about 33% max settings, however w/ the new SSD I can run the game at 75% max settings while still getting 42FPS. So yeah, SSD's are MUCH better for gaming in my view, and that is about the extent of it; besides getting the steady 1Gb/s (128MB/s) write average. Pathetic if you ask me.

Here's a list of benches according to Tom's:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/ssd-charts-2012/benchmarks,129.html
Here's some overall total's:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/ssd-charts-2012/AS-SSD-Overall-Total-Score,2792.html

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Yea, but they're not bad. Sure some Sata III SSD's will beat it for the overall score but, you wont find many that will (if any) for that size and price and your seq. read is quite high so your boot and game load-times must be blazingly fast.

Here's my bench times with 2-Corsair Force 120GB Sata II SSD's in raid 0:
d8078c57-fd30-4b2e-90c5-9ddfdc02bfd2_zpse2db9e6f.jpg

SSDspeeds.png

I don't know what your Sata III controllers are like but for anyone with the first generation Marvell controllers like me this card could be an asset when you consider that for the speed of your OS and programs the read speed is the most important and the ACC.time read is the most important of those which is almost the same as mine.

My AS SSD & my CrystalDisk benchmarks on the left are the normal ones. The ones on the right are with a RamCashe to buffer the SSD raid array. If you need more speed you could always try something like that but in spite of the great benchmarks the real-world difference is not that great unless your a speed junky.

All-in-all for $149 you got a good deal, if you spent a bunch more on a OCZ Vector I don't even know if you would be able to notice the improvement and even then your boot and game load-times would most likely be slower. :sol:

Majestic One

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
right on, i know it's "fast" - but i just expect more from an industry that says mechanical HDD's are "6.0Gb/s" when it is against ALL physics to barely go above the 1Gb/s mark.
i understand the technology to go fast is there, however the mechanics haven't quite caught up to the claims being marketed; it's just hype and marketing. HDD's are dead, solid state is obviously the future path of the moment, and we as consumers are footing the bill for incremental tech.

but thanks for sharing your benches Idonno, much appreciated, and as sure will be for future readers of this thread.

and HEY, if you're gonna get one, they're down to $149 bud! :love:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227952
scoop one up before they're all gone! [BTW - i paid $169 USD; NEVER, EVER fails w/ Newegg LOL; 2 weeks later it's cheaper or on sale :pt1cable: ]

If you have the power, you might as well go ahead and close this thread.

PEACE! and again thanks for the informative and inspiring as usual conversation.

Majestic One

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
WEIRD... i just got an email from Tom's Hardware that there was a reply to my OP'ing.
Who was it? ME! LOL (the last comment i made)
even WEIRDER??!! - i JUST got done looking at todays Newegg coupons and noticed there was a 10% off on OCZ SSD products.
NOW this very drive is $179!!!
looks like i have chosen another quality product again LOL; because i SWEAR - every major component i have bought in the past 2 years has gone UP in price.